Floods are caused by the shooting industry

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Laurie

Re: Floods are caused by the shooting industry

#41 Post by Laurie »

Following the floods of 2007 planning law was changed so that a person requires planning permission to pave over, repave or otherwise create a hardstanding over 5sqm in area to the front of their property ........... [Mark]

That's fascinating! I'd never heard that. As you say, who knows about it and even more so, who complies with it?

I saw a lot of new hardstanding areas being installed last summer locally. Alongside ripping bathrooms and other bits of the interior out, the second job on an older house with new owners appears to be to get the car parking 'sorted'. Unless we go down a path of calling up a one-trip rental job on an Uber type app in the electric car future and thereby rid society of most parked personal vehicles, I can only see things get worse. Everybody will want their electric vehicles off the streets and alongside domestic charging points.

Incidentally and returning to the thread subject, York Central's Labour MP Ms Rachel Maskell is sounding off about sorting river catchments out in today's edition of the York Press. She writes quite correctly that yet more and yet higher downstream barriers aren't the answer. Perhaps predictably though, her first claim is that grouse moor burning is a cause of rapid runoff and must be stopped.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#42 Post by TRG-22 »

Laurie wrote:That's fascinating! I'd never heard that. As you say, who knows about it
I did. And I suspect that anyone who uses a reputable supplier/contractor for their paving would be told.

and even more so, who complies with it?
Like many laws and regulations, only those who think that they should and those who fear the penalties for not complying.

Some high profile prosecutions would both raise the awareness of the law and concentrate people's minds. :twisted:

I saw a lot of new hardstanding areas being installed last summer locally.
To be fair, you probably don't know how much of it was SuDS compliant permeable stuff. But yeah, I bet much of it wasn't.

Unless we go down a path of calling up a one-trip rental job on an Uber type app in the electric car future and thereby rid society of most parked personal vehicles,
I think that that is quite a likely scenario in high density areas because of the logistical and engineering problems with getting enough electricity to all those cars.

A few figures of interest:

Road transport uses 45 million litres of petrol and a little over 77 million litres of diesel per day. Dunno how much is cars and how much freight and mass transport etc, but at 9.5kWh in a litre of petrol, and 9.9 in diesel that is over 1.2 TWh per day, which is about what we already produce. Even assuming a 30% efficiency for internal combustion engined, and 100% for electric, that's still an extra 360GWh per day, about a 30% increase over what we can currently produce.

Your average petrol/diesel (for cars) pump at a filling station is the equivalent of about a 25MW electrical appliance, getting on for 30 for the fastest ones..

Everybody will want their electric vehicles off the streets and alongside domestic charging points.
If for no other reason than it's illegal to string cables across the pavement.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#43 Post by Pete »

I've heard that in some parts of Japan, if you have no off-street parking, you can't own a car.............dunno how true that is.
Wouldn't go down well here......................

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
TRG-22

#44 Post by TRG-22 »

Which I have.

Proselytising

I guess I am guilty, (although I think I'd prefer "advocating" - less of the whiff of fanaticism about it :) )

Evidence

I agree that it's nearly always incomplete or contradictory, especially at first, and also it is said, of those doing studies and forming conclusions, where you stand depends on where you sit and who pays for your chair.

You cite examples of evidence being ignored/fabricated/perverted to serve some ideological purpose. I'm sure that there's not a person here who doesn't wish that after Hungerford, and particularly Dunblane, there had been a lot more consideration of evidence and a lot less knee-jerking and demonising, and it seems hypocritical to do just what one complains about ones opponents doing. But I've done that to death.

Sitting rooms

I might well make the same points/ask the same questions, as I'm not doing so in an aggressive manner, no fights would be started. If I were in Christel's I might well ask whether it really is a bad idea to keep guns out of the hands of nutters and idiots. If Michael Ryan and Thomas Hamilton had been denied guns then arguably we might still have semi-autos and proper handguns.

Pique

Yeah - there was a bit of that. Sorry. I'm human, not superhuman.
TRG-22

#45 Post by TRG-22 »

Pete wrote:I've heard that in some parts of Japan, if you have no off-street parking, you can't own a car.............dunno how true that is.
Wouldn't go down well here......................

Pete
I read a year or so ago of an inner-city housing development here where they had made no provision for parking cars, either on- or off-street. I don't think they forbade residents from owning a car, but they didn't make them able to park it anywhere near where they lived.

I also once read (could have been an urban myth, though) of a rich guy who lived in Mayfair, or Belgravia - somewhere like that. So he had on-street parking in resident's bays available, but of course the council flog far more residents permits than there are spaces, so he couldn't always park easily.

What to do?

Simples, get another car, register it, buy a 2nd permit, and employ someone whose job was to keep the car elsewhere, and when required to rock up outside rich guys house, slot the car into the space as soon as rich guy left. Then later to drive it away when rich guy was ready to slot his in.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#46 Post by Plumose »

In Oxford there are definitely housing developments which are in permit holder areas where the residents of those developments won't be issued permits.

Also students in accommodation owned by either of the universities aren't allowed to keep a car in the city.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net