Feral Hogs kill Texas woman

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Chuck

Feral Hogs kill Texas woman

#1 Post by Chuck »

Death Of Texas Woman Shows Feral Hogs Are No Laughing Matter

https://bearingarms.com/came/2019/11/27 ... e025162f23

WOW!!!!!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Feral Hogs kill Texas woman

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

And every Tweet doubtlessly from clueless townie tw@'s 8-)
DVC
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#3 Post by Les »

It's probably only a matter of time until somebody is either killed or seriously injured by one of the +/- 1000 wild boar which are currently roaming our own countryside. :squirrel:
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#4 Post by froggy »

Time to call-in some Frogs ?
https://www.connexionfrance.com/French- ... ast-France
Les wrote:It's probably only a matter of time until somebody is either killed or seriously injured by one of the +/- 1000 wild boar which are currently roaming our own countryside. :squirrel:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

Wild boar is the only indigenous animal to feature in the Dangerous Wild Animal Act 1976. The estimate of 1000 in the wild is a somewhat conservative estimate from 2012. There's close to double that in the Forest of Dean alone! In Kent and East Sussex we probably have another 1000 to 1500.

I am conditioned for boar and I'm fortunate enough to have ancient woodland on two areas where I shoot. A little bit of coppicing has opened up some longer shots now as well! Myself and my shooting partner have utilised .45-70s for some time now, but I've just gone to .30-06. I had considered .375!

Going through very dense wood looking for one that you know took a solid hit, is one for the Adrenalin rush!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#6 Post by TRG-22 »

But the baby ones are ever so cute...

:D

Never eaten one though - I wonder how it woud be. I've had "suckling" pig (in "" because they often aren't truly), and thought it a waste of time - no flavour, really.

But as boar has a stronger flavour, I wonder if a squeaker would be good.

Don't suppose anybody has ever had one?
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
TRG-22

#7 Post by TRG-22 »

Les wrote:It's probably only a matter of time until somebody is either killed or seriously injured by one of the +/- 1000 wild boar which are currently roaming our own countryside. :squirrel:
Probably. The Texas story was about feral pigs - don't know how their temprament differs from boar. I think it's accepted that they can be dangerous. I remember reading in a novel once about a guy using pigs to kill people/dispose of bodies - might have been by Thomas Harris, and recently there was that bit in Gentleman Jack where a young lad used their pigs to dispose of his abusive father - all they left was his belt buckle. All total hokum?

But OTOH I'm sure that Sim will tell you that it's hard enough to get close enough to shoot one, let alone get bitten by one. Just don't get between mum and her humbugs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ean-cities

Oh, and Sim - keep it down, eh? Maybe an explosion in numbers might bring about a loosening of restrictions. :twisted:
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#8 Post by Les »

TRG-22 wrote:Probably. The Texas story was about feral pigs - don't know how their temprament differs from boar.
They are the same beasties. Boar - wild hogs - wild pigs. Just different names for the same thing.
TRG-22

#9 Post by TRG-22 »

Feral is not the same as wild.

And domestic pigs and boar may be related, in the same way that a labrador is related to a wolf, but over the last 10-15,000 years they've diverged a bit, and the domestic animal is a different sub-species, or even, according to some, a completely different one.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by Pete »

Apparently, the only bit of a human that a pig can't/won't eat are the teeth....................and wild boar tastes delicious, very slow-roasted with honey, garlic, and rosemary.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....