moderating a shotgun

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: moderating a shotgun

#11 Post by Sandgroper »

Ovenpaa wrote:This has been discussed at great length here: http://jacksonrifles.com/zz-silencers/ukproof.htm
I know, I've contributed to the discussions many times. I just found it strange that you mentioned selling and proof in your comment to Matt but going back over some of the previous threads it seems we share different views on proofing...so we'll leave it at that.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#12 Post by Mattnall »

Sim G wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:
Bit the question really is, if a mod is a firearm per se, is it then a "small arm"? Or is it the "barrel" of a small arm? Or a component? For then it would require proof if such, by whatever definition...

(Now that's going to start a $hitstorm!!!) lol
Storm is getting worse.

I believe the Gun Barrel Proof Act doesn't require you to proof anything other than barrels and any item at the breach end that contains the pressure.

A flash hider is also a firearm (FA1968 s57.(1)(d).
So whatever you do or don't do to any item designed to reduce the noise of firing you should also do or not do to an item designed to reduce the flash. They are exactly the same as regards to the Firearms Act as they are always mentioned in the same sentence but are only treated differently, ie the mod is controlled for purposes of possession like a rifle, the flash hiders aren't.
BTW only three flash hiders have been listed on FACs as separate items and two of these have since been disposed of according to the police national database (all in in the same county in East Anglia, probably by the same person).

If you ask the Proof Houses they will say proof everything and gives us your money. They haven't made one attempt to legally make moderators require proof and as their whole raison d'être is about making money, proof and making money you'd think they'd be all over this.

Dave, they are often sold without proof. Even proofed moderators can be sold to air rifle owners off ticket for use on their air rifles as it is not an "accessory of a lethal barrelled weapon", a sub12 air rifle not being a firearm.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

The principal proof act is, as you said, an instrument for protecting business initially and has now become, 150 years later, a money making machine. The first 107 sections of the Act instruct how the business of the Proof Houses will be carried out!!! If that doesn’t give the intention of the Act, I don’t know what would....

There is nothing about the “breech end” or “pressure bearing” specified in the Act, but “Small Arm”, “Double barrel” and “Barrel” are specified. To me, that means the whole gun and any barrels to that whole gun.

The concept of proofing components and accessories is as a result of further legislation, namely the Principal Firearms Act, 100 years later!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#14 Post by Mattnall »

It mentions breech blocks and chambers need to be marked. Also it says the barrels should be marked at the breech end and nothing about the muzzle end.

Anyway this has nothing to do with moderating a shotgun. The screw-on mods for shotguns make them very front heavy, I've only seen one but it was not a very useful mod, the hushpower shotgun was silenced much more than the one with the Atec fitted.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Blobby159

moderating a shotgun

#15 Post by Blobby159 »

Mattnall wrote:It mentions breech blocks and chambers need to be marked. Also it says the barrels should be marked at the breech end and nothing about the muzzle end.

Anyway this has nothing to do with moderating a shotgun. The screw-on mods for shotguns make them very front heavy, I've only seen one but it was not a very useful mod, the hushpower shotgun was silenced much more than the one with the Atec fitted.
Hi Matt... The 'Hush-power' shotguns are particularly quiet for two major reasons.
1/. They recommend that to get a quiet report one should load and shoot only specialty ammunition that has been loaded to give a shot charge muzzle velocity below the speed of sound .. .i.e. Subsonic Shotgun Cartridges.

Use these cartridges in a shotgun with a can fitted to the muzzle end of the barrel only and you will get a significantly quiet report!.. Though perhaps not QUITE as quiet as the Hush-power version(s), but still, VERY different from the usual boom or crack!!

2/. With the Hush-power shotguns the moderator is an over the barrel type of affair. This helps quite a bit with the general balance of these guns as the mass is distributed along the full length of the barrel and NOT just a lump hanging off the muzzle end. What one doesn't see - till one strips the mod' down to clean the ash and cr*p out - is that along a goodly portion of the length of barrel under the mod' are loads of small holes bored through the barrel walls such that, as the charge of shot and wad etc travels up the barrel during the firing cycle, hot gasses are being discharged through these holes out into the volume of the mod' can surrounding the barrel. This is how the hot, compressed gasses of the burning powder are slowed down and cooled before being loosed out into the atmosphere via the muzzle, and thus "silenced" .... again assuming one fires the Subsonic Cartridges built for the job.

As with other firearms (I am thinking in particular of my powder burning rifles here in particular) one can certainly fire full power cartridges out of these Hush-power shotguns, but, again as with firearms rifles, the "CRACK" produced by any projectile(s) leaving the muzzle of said gun at any velocity ABOVE the speed of sound WON'T be quietened at all, though the "boom" produced by the powder burn will have been subdued significantly.

ATB ..... and shoot safely

Sent from my iPad using "An application"