Womens Shotgun

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Womens Shotgun

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

I should have added, I shoot a 20 bore for game as much or more than a 12 bore these days and they certainly have the killing power with a 25 gram load. Interestingly, I shoot 30/32 gram with a 12 bore so the little 20 is always a delight when I am a walking gun with a dog, especially in the Wolds where you need to be part mountain goat sometimes.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#12 Post by Christel »

Pippin89 goodjob

Call them whatever you want, just not weapons unless you are in the military.

I know our FEO calls them weapons - his argument is that it is the word used in the law.

However I am thinking there is also an underlying agenda being pushed by using the word weapons, better make them look and sound dangerous, might appease the population and put people off.

Ok, that last bit was me thinking out loud :p
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#13 Post by Pippin89 »

christel wrote:Pippin89 goodjob

Call them whatever you want, just not weapons unless you are in the military.

I know our FEO calls them weapons - his argument is that it is the word used in the law.

However I am thinking there is also an underlying agenda being pushed by using the word weapons, better make them look and sound dangerous, might appease the population and put people off.

Ok, that last bit was me thinking out loud :p
My FEO did as well. I nearly called her out on it but as its my first application I thought I better not... I will save that for next time. lol
In fairness its probably a police thing as well as a military thing. Their firearms serve a similar purpose.
MarkW
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Mendip Shooting Club

#14 Post by MarkW »

Went back to the gun club yesterday to collect my cabinet. Awesome service and started chatting to the bloke there. Spoke to him several times before but went into a bit more detail about the womens gun he was on about. It was this one

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/ ... 6095400003

I know it's a lot to spend on a first gun for the wife but my thought process is, if it fits and is light then she'll be more inclined to keep going.

So has anyone used one or have any opinion?
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#15 Post by GeeRam »

MarkW wrote:Went back to the gun club yesterday to collect my cabinet. Awesome service and started chatting to the bloke there. Spoke to him several times before but went into a bit more detail about the womens gun he was on about. It was this one

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/ ... 6095400003

I know it's a lot to spend on a first gun for the wife but my thought process is, if it fits and is light then she'll be more inclined to keep going.

So has anyone used one or have any opinion?
See my first post in the thread.
MarkW
Past Supporter

#16 Post by MarkW »

Thanks, I must of missed the gun you mentioned. I read about going from 20 to 12 but didn't register the gun.
I think we'll be saving up for her. So she can have a decent gun to start with. If after 12-24 months she gives up, it should still retain a decent amount of value
Polchraine

#17 Post by Polchraine »

MarkW wrote:Thanks, I must of missed the gun you mentioned. I read about going from 20 to 12 but didn't register the gun.
I think we'll be saving up for her. So she can have a decent gun to start with. If after 12-24 months she gives up, it should still retain a decent amount of value
Just do NOT buy new. You will, after looking round, find a nearly new one at a significant saving.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
MarkW
Past Supporter

#18 Post by MarkW »

Polchraine wrote:
MarkW wrote:Thanks, I must of missed the gun you mentioned. I read about going from 20 to 12 but didn't register the gun.
Just do NOT buy new. You will, after looking round, find a nearly new one at a significant saving.
I've looked and can't find the Liberty anywhere used. All are brand new.
42DAF

#19 Post by 42DAF »

So gun fit isn’t the only thing here balance is also vital.

2 guns that weight the same the one that fits and balances best will give less precieved recoil than the other. As to balance and the ladies guns the Browning Liberty Light is IMHO a bad option as the action and stock are too light and this spoils the balance of the gun.
The Beretta Vitoria is much better the Blaser is very good but expensive CG again good but not everyone’s taste.

The stock dimensions of all will work for most women but the key is shooting them all, at this stage will she know the difference be between right and wrong, sh is probably at the alright and better stage. This is where an experienced coach helps more than an instructor.

Others have recommended small bore a 20 bore is ok and capable 28s require a fair bit more skill to truly master and where possible should be avoided.

I know your instructor is a mate but it sounds like he is limited on his number of coaching guns, this causes issues of make do with this, most serious instructors have a good pool of guns or use grounds that do and will loan them out, now I’ve stopped coaching full time I’m down to 8 options 2 fully adjustable.
MarkW
Past Supporter

#20 Post by MarkW »

Just to close this off, In the end we went to the sister shop and looked at a few used guns, the wife liked the feel of a 12g silver pidgeon. So that was sent over to the range and we tried it a couple of weeks later. She liked it and hit a few clays during the test session so we paid. It's now sat in the armoury at the shooting ground until our SGC comes through. But we've been back and shot it several times.