Thoughts or help on a bottom feeder

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

Thoughts or help on a bottom feeder

#1 Post by 38Super »

I'm in the market for a bottom feeder so that I can demonstrate loading techniques to club members new to PSG. It won't be a competition gun (love my Bora too much bangbang ) and I don't want to spend lots of money.

I'm after a pump but being vertically challenged I've found that I need the long forend found on the Supernova, Hatsan or Winchester SXP. (Any others?).

I know some people have expressed strong views against Hatsans for PSG in the past but was that only for the loading gates on the Semi-autos? I understand the pumps are not the same. I have a problem with long stocks and the Hatsan is the only one that I can find with a 24" barrel and available aftermarket short stock. A Supernova isn't out of the question but it would cost a lot more and is next to impossible to shorten the LOP.

Are Hatsans really that bad?

Any other options?

Rob
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Thoughts or help on a bottom feeder

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

I think the Hatsan brand was ruined in PSG circles by the shocking original semi-auto and compounded by the 'speed-feed' lol lol lol update. Because of that, IMO, the pump hasn't seen the light of day, which is possibly a shame as the function of the semi-auto is pretty good, if the pump doesn't have the stupid loading button/double tongue lifter, then there's no reason it wouldn't be a viable gun. I'd be interested to see/handle one to see just how it works, as it seems crazy that they'd have a normal lifter system in the pump, but something overly complicated in the semi.

Mossberg 500/590's are fine guns and can be picked up fairly cheaply. The downside is that they're pigs for dual or quad loading which is an obvious disadvantage.
DVC
38Super

#3 Post by 38Super »

Thanks Mark

As far as I can see the pump has a normal lifter but I've yet to have play with one.
I've seen one Hatsan pump that's had it's port opened up for quad loading although that one looked a bit extreme to me.

You also can't change the mag tube on the Mossbergs and the forend is a long reach for me. I am comfortable with the long forends that come all the way back over the receiver when racking.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

On seeing the title I thought you wanted some Barbel fishing tips! :run:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#5 Post by meles meles »

Or our esteemed Parliamentary Overlords...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#6 Post by DaveB »

Didn't Browning do a bottom-feed pump shotgun in the 80s? Failing that you could always look for an old Ithaca Model 37.
Blackstuff

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

Sounds like a S/H Nova or Supernova would be the way to go then :good:
DVC
38Super

#8 Post by 38Super »

Blackstuff wrote:Sounds like a S/H Nova or Supernova would be the way to go then :good:
That's the sensible choice but all reports say they are long in the stock. A slightly thinner butt pad is available for the bargain price of £95.

Several reviewers ofthe SPX have 'complained' that the stock is very short so could be worth a look. Minimum barrel length is 26" but I don't think that's a big deal.

I've just found out that the Remington 887 comes with a long forend. I don't know anything about them.
Blackstuff

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

You can get them in 24" barrelled versions but the 26" seems the most common, i'm pretty sure the one I used to have was. As for the stock/LoP i'm 5'9 and average build and had no issues with it, and I prefer a shorter LoP than most. I personally found the forend too chunky though
DVC
BamBam

#10 Post by BamBam »

Stoeger P350, I've seen them go for less than 200 notes 2nd hand, has the same style lifter as most semi-auto shotgun.