Gun Prices

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Polchraine

Gun Prices

#1 Post by Polchraine »

Having not bought an "expensive" new gun before, I need some pointer from thiose who may have or know.

Should I be paying the list price? Or is it acceptable to negoitiate - I think it is and what discount would be a reasonable expectation? 10%, 20%?

It is currently between £4k and £5k depending on what I go for ... and delivery could be 6months or so.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

Re: Gun Prices

#2 Post by Fedaykin »

I wouldn’t hold your breath trying to get a discount that large if at all, the UK gun trade already works to very tight margins.

Sportsman Gun Centre who are a very large player often have discounts but you can’t be picky.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#3 Post by Lancs Lad »

Polchraine wrote:Having not bought an "expensive" new gun before, I need some pointer from thiose who may have or know.

Should I be paying the list price? Or is it acceptable to negoitiate - I think it is and what discount would be a reasonable expectation? 10%, 20%?

It is currently between £4k and £5k depending on what I go for ... and delivery could be 6months or so.

If the rifle you wanted was readily available i.e. sitting in a rack somewhere, then there may well be scope for a bit of a reduction. If you are expecting to wait a few months for delivery on an expensive rifle then I think the chances of a price reduction are minimal. I would suggest that there are market forces at work here and where the item concerned is at the top end of the price bracket, the less those forces work in your favour. Just my opinion of course and its always worth trying to negotiate.

Regards

:flag13: LL
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#4 Post by Dellboy »

Polchraine wrote:Having not bought an "expensive" new gun before, I need some pointer from thiose who may have or know.

10% could be the margin to the dealer(if there lucky) less carriage so probably not . What are you buying ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#5 Post by WelshShooter »

I can't comment on a rifle for that price but some dealers usually have package offers such as Howa 1500, scope, and moderator. Are there any accessories you would like which could be negotiated? Additional barrel, a set of competition reloading dies?

I've not bought a "new" rifle for a while but when I've bought bulk bullets/reloading components I've sometimes asked for a small discount for bulk items and I've usually got it (5% or so). As with all things, it'll depend on the dealers discretion and whatever relationship you have with them.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by 1066 »

Have you had a look to see if it's available or more competitively priced in mainland Europe?

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/bl ... 5132348003

https://www.blaser.de/en/products/firea ... U0,ZG0,Z20
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Polchraine

#7 Post by Polchraine »

Sorry, have been away for a few days with no access to email.

It is actually a new shotgun, although I would guess most comments would be applicable to those too. Coming from a UK based gun smith - made under their name in Europe so only available through them. The base gun is available in Europe fractionally cheaper.

It is potentailly made to order to get the right stock dimensions and choice.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#8 Post by Dellboy »

Polchraine wrote:Sorry, have been away for a few days with no access to email.

It is actually a new shotgun, although I would guess most comments would be applicable to those too. Coming from a UK based gun smith - made under their name in Europe so only available through them. The base gun is available in Europe fractionally cheaper.

It is potentailly made to order to get the right stock dimensions and choice.

very unlikelly for a discount i wouldhave thought
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Actually there can be a reasonable mark-up on some firearms, certainly 20% and more off list of many models. having said that, some shops will heavily discount their prices so they are floating just above trade and they make their money either on advance sales and/or on extras as a package in the case of rifles. So you end up paying 2k for a rifle plus rings plus 'scope plus binoculars which looks good on paper however the extras are of average quality and have very little re-sale value.

Ordering a fully fitted shotgun is about the best thing you can ever do and it will make a massive difference to your shooting. Ask them about the point of balance as it is often overlooked by new owners, are you looking for a slow gun or a fast gun. This is as much about your style and type of shooting. I prefer longer barrels balanced just forward of the pin however many customers ask for their guns to be slowed down or be more neutral ans even swapping out the butt pad or changing the length of pull makes a big difference to the balance of the gun.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Eastmids-HD
Home club or Range: Wedgenock Warwick

#10 Post by Eastmids-HD »

I think it's down to the RFD. I know someone who had just shy of £400 knocked off a new gun.
CZ455 22 LR
Tikka T3 22 250
Anschutz 1813 Supermatch

more to come