ATA SP vs Silver Pigeon

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

ATA SP vs Silver Pigeon

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

For Clay pigeon shooting. I have used the Beretta a few times and love it. And I am contemplating buying a second hand one. So I would be looking at about £1k for a 10 year old gun in reasonable condition. Then I see reviews of the ATA SP. Which I can have brand new for more or less half the price. And the reviews of it look great. Solid, well built, good shooter etc. And an almost exact copy of the Silver Pigeon. And I think they look great too.

One downside is that the new ATA will obviously depreciate quicker than a second hand Silver Pigeon but to be honest I will never sell it whichever one I buy even if I buy something else so this doesn't worry me too much.

Has anyone shot both and give me any good reasons why I shouldn't buy the ATA??
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: ATA SP vs Silver Pigeon

#2 Post by Sim G »

It's a Turkish gun. It I'll be well made, half decently finished and some of that Turkish walnut is stunning. But it's not a Beretta...

Spend a grand on a good Beretta, shoot it for five years and sell it for a grand. Buy an ATA for 700 quid, shoot it for five years, don't expect to get even half your money back.

I've had a couple Turkish guns and I have no complaint, except the availability of spare parts. I needed a small spring and catch for a Hatsan semi, could I get one for love or money? No! It took Chuck off here to get his Mrs on the bus to the factory to get me one!

Because they're cheap, I'm not convinced UK dealers/importers give them service.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Beretta spares for the vast majority of models produced are available here in the UK, same goes for Browning and Miroku although they are invariably slightly more expensive. As pointed out, Turkish spares can be problematical.

Personally I would have no issues with an older Beretta as long as it has been looked after however, do get it serviced as they tend to rust from the inside.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

Thank you for your advice gents!

As I said the depreciation wouldn't bother me as I wouldn't sell it. More likely it will be passed down to my daughter when she is old enough in about 10 years or so and I convince the misses that I need something else.

Spare parts is a very valid point though... Well worth considering. Maybe as the price of the ATA is so low I buy both and see which one I prefer. If I like the ATA then I can sell the Silver Pigeon for more or less what I paid for it. If I prefer the Beretta then the ATA can sit in the cabinet as a spare!

Ovenpaa good to know about regular servicing being needed and rust issues. Something to look out for when buying a second hand one!...
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#5 Post by Dellboy »

shoot them and see which fits best
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.