New “for enjoyment” Clay Gun Advice

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

benscammell
Home club or Range: Royay Berks Shooting School

New “for enjoyment” Clay Gun Advice

#1 Post by benscammell »

Happy to spend up to £2k...

Had good success at RBSS (lessons) with a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 over a Browning... should I buy a Beretta, or are there other suggestions?

Thanks, Ben
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: New “for enjoyment” Clay Gun Advice

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

You are going to be hard pushed to beat a Beretta that has been fitted for you and you should be in budget with 2k.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ballistol

#3 Post by Ballistol »

As Ovenpaa has said, it’s going to be tough to beat a fitted Beretta, but I must admit that of all my shotguns, nothing puts a smile on my face like the Benelli SuperSport lol
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Having said this, I still have my purchased new in 1994 12 bore Miroku that has been fitted to my 6'3" build. I left it at home most of this last season in favour of a bog standard Silver Pigeon 20 bore because it was lighter to carr, cartridges took up less room in my pockets and it sure it nice to walk with one in our part of the Lincolnshire Wolds (My iFone told me I climbed the equivalent of 28 flights on one shoot which I reckon was crap as it felt more like twice that.

Start with a good gun that suits your needs, get it fitted, take some lessons, enjoy. Oh and get it serviced from time to time!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
benscammell
Home club or Range: Royay Berks Shooting School

#5 Post by benscammell »

So the Beretta looks like the answer...

So:-

Silver Pigeon 1 (Field?)
Silver Pigeon 1 Sporting

What are the relative advantages / disadvantages?

Thanks, Ben
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#6 Post by J4mes »

I think the game/field guns have auto safetys and the sporters dont, game guns will be lighter with narrower ribs .

I have a 687 sporter that I use for game and clay.

Fit is going to be the deciding factor. Get something that fits or you can afford to have professionally fitted to you.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

Anything fitted should be ok but if your buying an 'off the shelf' sometimes a cheap and cheerfull fits better
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#8 Post by the running man »

I've been shooting clays for 30 years now,I must have had 20 shotguns,the ones that offer the best value for money at present is a zoli,solid,heavy,well built,great finish,great trigger,woods ok but not the best...,I rate em over peraazzi and certainly over Beretta's....hate brownies....
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
42DAF

#9 Post by 42DAF »

My advice would be to get out and shoot as many different guns as you can you’ll start to get a feeling for what you like or don’t like ie shallow wall action like beretta perazzi over the deep browning Miruko actions, but also wide heavier actions like perazzi Zoli or beretta 682 or light beretta sp or 690.

The beretta sp if you get on with it is hard to beat, but there is more to gettting on than just gun fit balance and handling also play a big part. As to having a gun fitted as a new shooter the gun need to be close enough your the most inconsistent thing in the equation until your mount is consistent there is no point having the gun fully fitted.

I’d be more than happy to offer any help I can I work in Bisley during the week so not to far.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#10 Post by ukrifleman »

Never had a problem breaking clays since the 80's with my Baikal o/u !