FAC lever-action shotgun barrel length question

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: FAC lever-action shotgun barrel length question

#21 Post by Sim G »

Another anomaly unfortunately, when a spare barrel is held for a s1 shotgun, its the same as for any other “firearm” and needs a separate variation.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#22 Post by Mattnall »

Spare barrels aren't licensed but to be in possession of a complete shotgun you need the relevant authority or exemption. If you have a spare barrel (not on certificate at all) and then add it to a receiver to make a short barrelled (ie S1) shotgun you need to be able to prove you can legally possess the short barrelled shotgun. The fact that the shotgun with it's original (but now separate) barrel meets all the requirements of S2 is immaterial if the receiver has the short barrels on.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by Blackstuff »

Hmmm I think there’s a bit of mixing and matching of the legalities of S1 and S2 shotguns going on but the fact is I DO already have the (required) slot for a spare barrel on my ticket, the problem is getting one!!

The only way of obtaining one that I can think of that can be cut down at present would be to purchase a S2 version of the gun, £599, then getting its barrel registered on my FAC and then chopping the barrel, getting it re-choked (£250 inc 1 choke) just for a short barrel on a £499 gun....

I’m not adverse to blowing money on guns for the sake of it but that doesn’t add up even for me! 5mith
DVC
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#24 Post by Sixshot6 »

Blackstuff wrote:Hmmm I think there’s a bit of mixing and matching of the legalities of S1 and S2 shotguns going on but the fact is I DO already have the (required) slot for a spare barrel on my ticket, the problem is getting one!!

The only way of obtaining one that I can think of that can be cut down at present would be to purchase a S2 version of the gun, £599, then getting its barrel registered on my FAC and then chopping the barrel, getting it re-choked (£250 inc 1 choke) just for a short barrel on a £499 gun....

I’m not adverse to blowing money on guns for the sake of it but that doesn’t add up even for me! 5mith
since the gun looks to resemble a fabarm and we know the company makes parts for them do we know what gun it matches? Would that help?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#25 Post by Blackstuff »

I think the only feasible way of getting it in the configuration i want is to get an Adler barrel of the desired length direct from the company, which at present seems like its not going to happen. Ho hum, will just have to enjoy the gun in its present format!
DVC
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#26 Post by breacher »

Funnily enough, I have a little project in mind which would mean reclassifying a 12 bore shotgun as an integrally suppressed pistol calibre rifle..................................
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire