Turkey choke for PSG

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Cookisan
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Diggle and MSR&PC

Turkey choke for PSG

#1 Post by Cookisan »

I've come across these ported turkey choke on the Brownells site and wondered if anybody has tried them or is using them in PSG. They all seem to be extra full so would benefit shot placement and the porting would hopefully contol muzzle flip.

I only do PSG at my local club so don't have any great knowledge of outside world, but I'm not aware of anybody using them there.

Just wanted my logic checked or peoples views.

Cheers
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Turkey choke for PSG

#2 Post by JSC »

Yes, I use one in my M2. It's a Kick's. Bear in mind any porting may mean you can't use the gun in standard division. Depends on who's the match organiser and whether they're following IPSC rules or not.

I've found it makes little or no difference in terms of muzzle flip, but has improved the pattern. You should use the choke manufacturer's recommended load(s) to get the most out of them.
Cookisan

#3 Post by Cookisan »

Cheers for that, I hadn't even thought of the implications to which class you shoot in!

That kind of answers the question, the possible reduction in muzzle flip was a major reason for aquiring one.
Rarms
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Rarms »

Make sure its not rifled also!
gasman
Home club or Range: worcester norton

#5 Post by gasman »

choke selection depends on the course of fire and distance you are from target, if there is "no shoot/penalty plates" close to targets then a turkey choke is useful, but it means you have to be more accurate in your aim, if there are no penalty targets then a wide choke ( cylinder/1/4 ) means more pellets in the target area and if aim is off slightly it wont matter.also cartridge choice makes a difference, plastic wad type has a tighter pattern than fibre wad.
i swop chokes as required depending on course of fire, but if you cant be bothered, a modified/1/2 choke will generally work and you learn to aim off the target if a penalty target is next to it. it pays to pattern plate your chosen cartridge and various chokes at several distances so you know what spread/pattern you can expect.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

As above. Extra full chokes aren't generally used in PSG because there's usually no need to get your pattern that tight, and as mentioned above, doing so may actually put you at a disadvantage where you miss the target plate by being slightly off. There are occasionally 'wacky' courses of fire set up with, IMO, daft 35-40m plates set up using birdshot but they are very much in the minority and wouldn't be included in a match shot to the IPSC rulebook. (Plates at that sort of distance, again IMP, should be shot with buckshot).

Something else to consider is the extra damage/wear you put on plates by whacking them with such a tight choke which your club may not thank you for. There are rumblings in my local club to ban anything tighter than 1/2 because of the type of target we use and the damage being hit very hard does (A hinged design plate rather than a break away type).
DVC
Cookisan

#7 Post by Cookisan »

Cheers for the above, again that's covered aspects that I'd not even thought of! I'll save my cash and keep on using full, which seems the acceptable at my club and improved for slug, and work harder on technique.

Thanks again for the sound advice.