FD12 Bullpup

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

FD12 Bullpup

#1 Post by Alan D »

Morning all,
Back in the UK in time for the cold and the rain....

Anyhow, work got in the way of me buying a new practical shotgun back in the summer, so now I'm back on the trail.

I came across the FD12 bullpup and wondered if anyone has one?

It's so different, it just appeals!

Very little in the way of information out there, no proper reviews etc.

I would like to see the bolt group and gas system and see what the trigger is like for starters.

I've plenty of trigger time with various bullpup rifles over the years, so this ugly duckling 'might' work for me...

Assuming it's not a dog's breakfast of a firearm that is.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: FD12 Bullpup

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

It is like any other Turkish made mag fed shotgun. Will probably run well once you have the ammo preference sorted but expect it to break parts if you use it for any hard/competition purposes.

There are a few problems with this gun IMO that would mean i personally wouldn't use it for PSG;

1/ Length of pull is not adjustable and the Turkish made guns i've used always have a long LoP (no idea why as statistically Turkish men are smaller in statue/build than Western European men)
2/ The main benefit of a bullpup - long length barrel in a short overall package - is completely lost because of our stupid minimum barrel/OAL requirements
3/ Reloading a bullpup without the muzzle going skyward or skewing to the side can be tricky. I'd be too worried about breaking the 90 or backstop limit if using slug
4/ Reloading a bullpup is never going to be as fast as with a standard layout gun

If the LoP wasn't crazy and theres was a way around the daft length requirements I would have been tempted myself as a fun gun
DVC
Alan D

#3 Post by Alan D »

Thanks for the feedback. The thing about bullpups is at least they can hide most of the ridiculously long 24" barrel.

The only pics I can find of the UK spec examples with the barrel shroud look ok, the extra 4 inches aren't too bad.

The few reviews on YouTube appear positive, still like to see the bolt group, AR10 derived I wonder?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Its not mate, its the same as the F12/Bora/MK12/MKA1919 etc. With a large gas piston at the front driving a carrier. You can see the guts here;

https://gunngarage.co.uk/fd12-bullpup.html
DVC
Alan D

#5 Post by Alan D »

Thanks Mark,

Comparing the pixelated picture to the F12 field strip, it certainly does appear to be exactly the same.

That's this one out for me, having to completely strip a firearm, including removing the barrel to get to the bolt group is la la land, p*** poor design.

I see they are pitching the FD12 for security work internationally, one chance of that and it's no chance!

It's back to the AR/ AK derived variants for me by the looks of it.