Range access

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Range access

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I was sat here pondering stroking some of my Girls. The Steyr SSG. The Winchester underlever etc. Yes them type of Girls.
Wondering if I would ever get to shoot them again any time this year.
Then it occurred to me I still have access to an outdoor range our Club has an outdoor 30 yard range. To access it you have to walk down a rutted path passing at least two farms.
Cross a field that is normally grazing cows. Go down a very very steep path. And then you are on the range firing point. The range has a stream running through the middle of it.
We have built a bridge over it so you can access the targets. Obviously if you are of a certain age you would not normally want to put yourself through the trauma of even accessing it.
I don,t visit it very often its even a struggle to get a 4x4 down there and back out fortunately the farmer is quite happy to help with his tractor as long as we keep him sweet.
Its a great place in the summer but wicked in the winter.
What if when you got there it was awash with with like minded shooters wanting to give it some.
Would you risk it how would you work out the distancing thing. Bear in mind these Guys have known each other for a lifetime.
Would you go for it or stay locked up.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Range access

#2 Post by Sim G »

In short, it's not essential, Dave. Social and sports clubs have been closed by the government until deemed otherwise.

On top of the obvious associated with lockdown, just the walk to get to these firing points is treacherous. Were someone to have an accident on the way, say a fall resulting in an open fracture to a leg, what resources would have to be utilised in a "rescue" and subsequent medical treatment?

Keep your guns cleaned and ready. Load all the ammunition your ticket allows, and prepare remaining brass to reload the reloads, but wait until told before venturing out on the point...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#3 Post by Lancs Lad »

Sim G wrote:In short, it's not essential, Dave. Social and sports clubs have been closed by the government until deemed otherwise.

On top of the obvious associated with lockdown, just the walk to get to these firing points is treacherous. Were someone to have an accident on the way, say a fall resulting in an open fracture to a leg, what resources would have to be utilised in a "rescue" and subsequent medical treatment?

Keep your guns cleaned and ready. Load all the ammunition your ticket allows, and prepare remaining brass to reload the reloads, but wait until told before venturing out on the point...
+1

:flag13: LL
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#4 Post by redcat »

If doing without shooting for six months (or more) is the worst thing I have to face for the rest of my life I will be very happy.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

#5 Post by Bovril »

Lots of people (including members of my own family) are beginning to see these restrictions as something to get around. Such as the mother in law asking me to pop round to collect some bedding. When I told her no because it wasn't essential she said I could say I was checking on the welfare of older relatives if the police pulled me.
Again I refused. The restrictions are there for a reason, not solely to annoy people.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

redcat wrote:If doing without shooting for six months (or more) is the worst thing I have to face for the rest of my life I will be very happy.

Redcat
Indeed.

I've already lost 3 friends to this virus in the past 4 weeks, and I know of someone that has lost both parents to it within the space of 4 days :cry:

And having now lost my job and not much chance of getting another one for some time, there's a real possibility that I may have to contemplate not renewing my FAC at the end of this year due to a massive belt tightening exercise.....or at least reducing down to just a single vintage mil surp rifle, as well as keeping the SGC perhaps.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Where have you been for the past month?

In the current situation, as has already been said, just visiting that site, never mind using it, would surely be a clear breach of common sense as well as the government's oft repeated lock down instructions!

Why on earth you would for even a moment consider it, never mind ask about it on here is completely beyond any responsible, intelligent reason.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
gashtyke

#8 Post by gashtyke »

dromia wrote:Where have you been for the past month?

In the current situation, as has already been said, just visiting that site, never mind using it, would surely be a clear breach of common sense as well as the government's oft repeated lock down instructions!

Why on earth you would for even a moment consider it, never mind ask about it on here is completely beyond any responsible, intelligent reason.
Plus One
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

Bovril wrote:Lots of people (including members of my own family) are beginning to see these restrictions as something to get around. Such as the mother in law asking me to pop round to collect some bedding. When I told her no because it wasn't essential she said I could say I was checking on the welfare of older relatives if the police pulled me.
Again I refused. The restrictions are there for a reason, not solely to annoy people.
Come on, admit it, you were just loving being able to say no to her! :D
DVC
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

#10 Post by Bovril »

Well.....;-)