Setting up shop / factory - does it need Gov approval?

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

Setting up shop / factory - does it need Gov approval?

#1 Post by mikygpu »

So guys, before having a go at me for NOT KNOWING and so on - I was scalded in emails and in another posts for “asking stupid questions that any RFD should know” please bear in mind the following:
1. I am from a country where EVERYTHING is diploma based. And then everything is controlled in a form or another by Gov’mnt. You want to start a metal fabrication factory? You need 101 documents- YES they are over 100 pages of documents needed before you start a factory.
2. I work in an industry where, except for CCTV, you need a bit of paper to screw a bulb. As PM, I need Prince2 or PMP or other forms just to be PM. Then I need FIA or BAFE or 18th edition to run fire cables. Then I need CSCS sssts/smsts/aqp to run ppl. Then I need SIA or SSIB or NSI or Safe Contractor or other form to be a Security installer. And so on ...
3. I have read every bit of paper published about guns from the 1868 Proof house formation document to 2019 gun law amendment.
4. English is not my 1st language and although I am not an illiterate, the understanding of the words in context is sometimes difficult because even with Oxford dictionary, the meaning of the word in context is as clear as mud.

That being said...

I want to set up shop to be full time gun smith, gun maker and so on. Covid has given me some time to work on this.
For now I want to set up shop to chamber barrels, repair and replace shotgun barrels, make my own guns and so on. Eventually to make my own straight pull action.
For all of the above, do I need to get a Gov’ment approval from somewhere? Like department of trades or Home Office or similar?
I am RFD and I have registered my company at Company’s house with relevant SIC codes.

Many thanks
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Setting up shop / factory - does it need Gov approval?

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

I think you are asking in the wrong place.
As far as I am aware there are two members who are definitely gun smiths with work shop facilities Ovenpaa is one and the Gun pimp is another there may be more but there wont be many. You need to talk to your licencing department they are the ones who will be able to help you.
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#3 Post by mikygpu »

Alpha1 wrote:I think you are asking in the wrong place.
As far as I am aware there are two members who are definitely gun smiths with work shop facilities Ovenpaa is one and the Gun pimp is another there may be more but there wont be many. You need to talk to your licencing department they are the ones who will be able to help you.
So would it be down to licensing department as individual force to grant or deny such application?
Makes no sense considering England is one single country with one single Parliament and Government.
I'll ask my force see what they say.
Socrates

I am here to learn!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

They are not firearms licensing departments, they are firearms certification departments.

One gets issued with a firearms certificate not a license. It says "Firearms CERTIFICATE" on your firearms certificate!

You seem to be seeking something that doesn't exist.

All the paper in the world will not make you a reputable RFD. Only time, experience and the support and recommendation of discerning customers will start you on the road.

As I have said to you in a previous post all the opinions and information on the internet will give neither knowledge, wisdom or experience.

What does your business plan say as to your reasons to trade as an RFD?

You are increasingly coming over as suspect.

Who is your Certification authority and the business name you trade under?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
mikygpu

#5 Post by mikygpu »

dromia wrote:They are not firearms licensing departments, they are firearms certification departments.

One gets issued with a firearms certificate not a license. It says "Firearms CERTIFICATE" on your firearms certificate!

All the paper in the world will not make you a reputable RFD. Only time, experience and the support and recommendation of discerning customers will start you on the road.

As I have said to you in a previous post all the opinions and information on the internet will give neither knowledge, wisdom or experience.

1. So there is no limitation to what an RFD can do? I can start building guns tomorrow and sell them as I please?
2. I am not seeking knowledge, wisdom or experience from internet. I am asking for opinions from older wiser ppl already in trade. As an example: I have learned some trade things in this country from older wiser men who were in industry already.
3. My business plan for RFD application was to cater for shooting community in my area and at my clubs, import and export of guns. Now I have a renewal coming and I want to add gun building, barrel chambering and all sorts of advanced gunsmithing to my business plan.
4. Can you explain why I am "coming over as suspect?" Just because I am curious about how the grants of gunsmithing and gun building is granted in this country? Law is as clear as mud and I can quote several parts were a "sabot" or a "shell adaptor" can be wither S1 or not licensed at all.

Again dromia, you are scalding me, same as some others over emails. Do I pose as a threat to old established gunsmithing industry of this country by asking questions? Do I offend in any way because I ask questions? Can you please stop with personal attacks against me? Please!?
If you don't like my questions or posts, just ignore them. I am entitled to freedom of speech as much as anyone else here.
If you disagree with my opinions or posts, you have the powers to delete my posts and account - you are mod and admin after all.

This is not a trial where anyone gets judged. It is a forum with free opinions and opinions belongs to individuals and they are not absolute truth.
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

mikygpu wrote:
dromia wrote:They are not firearms licensing departments, they are firearms certification departments.

1. So there is no limitation to what an RFD can do? I can start building guns tomorrow and sell them as I please?
2. I am not seeking knowledge, wisdom or experience from internet. I am asking for opinions from older wiser ppl already in trade. As an example: I have learned some trade things in this country from older wiser men who were in industry already.
3. My business plan for RFD application was to cater for shooting community in my area and at my clubs, import and export of guns. Now I have a renewal coming and I want to add gun building, barrel chambering and all sorts of advanced gunsmithing to my business plan.
4. Can you explain why I am "coming over as suspect?" Just because I am curious about how the grants of gunsmithing and gun building is granted in this country? Law is as clear as mud and I can quote several parts were a "sabot" or a "shell adaptor" can be wither S1 or not licensed at all.

Again dromia, you are scalding me, same as some others over emails. Do I pose as a threat to old established gunsmithing industry of this country by asking questions? Do I offend in any way because I ask questions? Can you please stop with personal attacks against me? Please!?
If you don't like my questions or posts, just ignore them. I am entitled to freedom of speech as much as anyone else here.
If you disagree with my opinions or posts, you have the powers to delete my posts and account - you are mod and admin after all.

This is not a trial where anyone gets judged. It is a forum with free opinions and opinions belongs to individuals and they are not absolute truth.
1. Don,t know you need to ask your local firearms office they will be able to advise.
2. You are not likely to find the answers you want on a forum your local firearms office will be able to advise.
3. Before you renew you need to have a discussion with your local firearms office tell them what you want to do and get there advise as to the way forward.

In my experience people don,t just set up as a gunsmith and start churning out barrels etc and make a success of it. Its some thing that evolves over a number of years. The cost of machinery is a big investment then premises etc. You only need to ruin one customers barrel and that's your business finished. I am fairly clued up but I would never consider chambering a barrel or doing any gunsmithing related work for some one else. Its a mine field.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

mikygpu wrote: Again dromia, you are scalding me, same as some others over emails. Do I pose as a threat to old established gunsmithing industry of this country by asking questions? Do I offend in any way because I ask questions? Can you please stop with personal attacks against me? Please!?

No idea what you mean by "scalding".

Your paranoia is telling.

You ramble on about free speech but only seem to want it one way. This forum is not "MeWe"!

You say that you wish learn but when things are brought to your attention about your ignorance on the subject you take exception.

Legal gun ownership in this country is on its last legs, we are helpless against a strong institutional and societal anti gun agenda combined with at best political indifference. Our "national" bodies are self serving, divisive and destructive, so in this climate it is little wonder that responsible legal gun owners are very chary when left of field "enthusiasts" appear flooding the forum with leading questions fishing for members opinions, especially when you are not the first we have had of this kind recently.

The fundamental dubiousness of your approach to your aspirations is that you are wishing to seek opinions when what you need is more factual, such questions would be better asked of a professional body such as the Gun Trade Association.

The fact that by your own admission I am not the first person to have expressed perturbation as to your posts here should be looked upon positively and not with negativism.

To that end to allow you time to reflect 'pon this and your manner a break with this forum is in order.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

mikygpu wrote:
What you can do is on your RFD certificate under nature of business: something like "Repair and retail", or Service and repair".
OK
Seems like you already have the answer to this and 1. above right here.
I think in this sport and industry there are so many wannabees, bullshitters and, worse of all; antis who just want to dig the dirt and spin any information in to a negative to show shooting and everything that goes with it in a bad light.

Sometimes naivety can come across as suspicious and many of the questions you are asking would most likely not be asked by an RFD with a few more years of experience in the trade. It might be better to trade as you are for a bit longer and get your feet under the table so to speak, get the lie of the land and you'll be able to ask questions coming from a better more experienced place and not sound so suspicious.

Or you might just be an anti... ;)

I've been in the business for over 20 years doing what it sounds like you want to do, and I'm still learning the 'rules' although I think I have it sussed they change them or I do something new. You're not too far from me, feel free to PM me if you like.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.