New lathe

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: New lathe

#21 Post by Ovenpaa »

You also need to work how to get in place and levelled. We have used cranes for similar sized machines. Chesters will drop it at the door step and walk away, in fact that is if you are lucky as they use a tail lift lorry usually and it is invariably one doddering old soul who is not going to carry anything, especially with social distancing. Have you checked delivery with Tony? These things can be many months away from date of order.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#22 Post by Alpha1 »

I haven't checked the delivery yet. I am concentrating on what kind of base at the moment. A local company builds garden sheds workshops etc. They also install them. They are also a lumber yard so you can choose the material you want it built from and importantly the flooring material. As to getting it installed. I am a qualified lifting person. I plan and organize the lift in and out of all kinds of machinery including complete distillation columns. I also have access to lifting equipment. I know getting it in place is going to be a challenge but I am in no rush. I reckon it will be the end of the year before I am done. Unless I run out of money but we will see. lol
(1) The first thing is the base. Currently costing and looking at options.
(2) Design and build shed. Install. Fit electrics. (Order Lathe)
(3) Plan how to get it round to the back of the House and installed. (level It) Wire it in.
Ovenpaa

#23 Post by Ovenpaa »

We built the base then craned the lathe over the top at the last place. Here was a similar job with biggest CNC machine which is quite a size
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#24 Post by Alpha1 »

Sounds expensive. I am hoping it doesn't come to that.
A tail-lift lorry doesn't sound good I was hoping they would have a Hyhab on the back to get it some were near.
Ovenpaa

#25 Post by Ovenpaa »

No, it was not a great deal of money. The Harrison here was delivered and crane/skated into place for a few hundred from memory.
/d

Shed Journal
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#26 Post by Pippin89 »

Alpha1 wrote:I haven't checked the delivery yet. I am concentrating on what kind of base at the moment. A local company builds garden sheds workshops etc. They also install them. They are also a lumber yard so you can choose the material you want it built from and importantly the flooring material. As to getting it installed. I am a qualified lifting person. I plan and organize the lift in and out of all kinds of machinery including complete distillation columns. I also have access to lifting equipment. I know getting it in place is going to be a challenge but I am in no rush. I reckon it will be the end of the year before I am done. Unless I run out of money but we will see. lol
(1) The first thing is the base. Currently costing and looking at options.
(2) Design and build shed. Install. Fit electrics. (Order Lathe)
(3) Plan how to get it round to the back of the House and installed. (level It) Wire it in.
You would have loved a task I had a couple of year ago. I was designing corrosion monitoring equipment for the oil and gas industry. I designed this massive spool that sat inline with the pipe (imagine a piece of oil pipeline with a big bulge in the middle and then a load of electronics housings on top). We had to do hydrostatic testing but inside a environmental chamber.
So we had to lift the spool into the chamber. The spool was 6.5m long, weighed about 10,000kg, had to go through the door of the chamber end first (so lifting from the end), the door for the chamber was about a meter back from the door to the unit and there was a bad concrete ramp leading into the unit so any equipment couldn't get past that point. The total height of the spool with electronics housing was about 3m and the doorway height was 3.3m.... How do you get it in there??

I outsourced it in the end. We didn't have the equipment or expertise to do it really. Not safely at least...

This will give you an idea of what it looked like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rpcm+sp ... _pt6VggVuM
The Gun Pimp

#27 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha1 wrote:I decided to buy a new one. It's my birthday next month. Her indoors has sanctioned it. I just need to find somewere to put it. That's lathe number four and definitely the last one.
LATHE.jpg
Just make sure it has an IMPERIAL lead-screw if you intend to do barrel work. Yes, they will tell you - no worries it will do metric or imperial BUT you need an IMPERIAL lead screw. Trust me.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#28 Post by Lancs Lad »

The Gun Pimp wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:I decided to buy a new one. It's my birthday next month. Her indoors has sanctioned it. I just need to find somewere to put it. That's lathe number four and definitely the last one.
LATHE.jpg
Just make sure it has an IMPERIAL lead-screw if you intend to do barrel work. Yes, they will tell you - no worries it will do metric or imperial BUT you need an IMPERIAL lead screw. Trust me.

Forewarned is forearmed :good:

:flag13: LL
Alpha1

#29 Post by Alpha1 »

I guess that is to do with cutting the thread on the barrel and working with imperial.. Hmmm. teanews
The Gun Pimp

#30 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha1 wrote:I guess that is to do with cutting the thread on the barrel and working with imperial.. Hmmm. teanews
Not quite the issue. All lathes will cut metric or imperial threads. Most barrels are imperial - but not all.

With a metric leadscrew, you must keep the halfnuts engaged the whole time you are cutting the imperial thread. Not insurmountable by any means but just easier if you have an imperial leadscrew.

If you'd already bought your lathe, I wouldn't even have mentioned it but, you have the chance to get it right, so you might as well!