Range Rods-Indicator rods.

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Range Rods-Indicator rods.

#11 Post by bradaz11 »

take a bit of flat stock, and a cutter the same dia as the shaft. plunge in a few mm from the edge of the stock, and cut a slot to the outside edge. should give you a nice U shape. then use this toolto push the c clip off. some ppl angle the outer edge too to better pick up on the clips tips.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

I use a marking out knife.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

Picture. I managed to get them off the phone by emailing them to myself.
IMG_20200407_232150.jpg
Alpha1

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

I still have not tried to remove the pilots I am nervous that I will screw up the reamers for my sizing die projects.
Ovenpaa

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

Some of my work benches have been covered with industrial mats with rubber backing so things do not get scratched when placed on them (I just vacuum them from time to time) This also means fragile items are less susceptible to damage when placed on the desk. The down side is small items can be easily lost so I use clear plastic take-away cartons with white tissue in to hold them.

I am not a fan of the C spring type clips as they can easily deform so I keep a close eye on them and will replace them with new if there is any doubt if bushings are changed.

I also make my own bushings on occasion.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

Alpha1 wrote:I have a cunning plan. :squirrel:
My cunning plan worked I now have quite a selection of range rods in lots of different calibers. No idea what I am going to do with them but we will see. The original plan was to make my self some reloading dies. Now I have a better understanding of the subject I realize the tooling I have will not work for standard dies but it will work for L.E.Wilson type dies. Fortunately, my dies of choice are L.E.Wilson. I was planning to turn them out for Milsurp calibers. I will be able to do that but full length dies are a different ball game.

But I have a cunning plan. :squirrel:
Lets see were this one takes me.
Ovenpaa

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

It is about time you posted some pictures.
/d

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes I will eventually post pics but honestly I dont have the time at the moment..
I am busy with work stuff my days are taken up with teams online discussions with Engineers. Research bods and Research Chemists. I am doing a lot of Autocad stuff for projects.
I do two days a week in work and the rest of the time I am working from home. But busy working from home not playing at it.
I am busy working on pen orders in the Shed because I get paid for them. I have upped my game in the pen turning world I spent a chunk of money on high-end stuff and tooling triple start thread taps and dies and high-end Bock and Jowo nibs from Germany.
I love the pen stuff. I love creating fountain pens.
Out of interest What sort of pens do you and Christel use every day? Fountain pens. Rollerballs or ball pens. What is your preference?
Anyway that's enough of that let's get back to gun stuff otherwise this post will disappear into the ether.
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

I always think pens are incredibly personal choices. It is form, function and aesthetic all rolled into one, plus the name plays a part as well. For notes and sketching at the bench I use Rotring Tikky pens on A4. I use my 30 year old Montblanc or 40 year old Parker when I need a pen (I have owned them both from new) I also us a couple of specific fine nibbed fountain pens for watercolours as they will work with waterproof inks and I have a selection of proper Rotring drawing pens for the same use. some of the inks I use such as the brown I purchased 45 years ago.

Christel is still using a box of extremely nasty fibre pens she must have purchased 10 years ago, I throw them in bin if I think she s not watching.
/d

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#20 Post by dromia »

This advert that I saw in a wall in Edinburgh many years ago and probably long gone always stuck in my mind.

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men.
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverly pen"

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/