7.62x39 Barrel Re crown

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: 7.62x39 Barrel Re crown

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

To day was a shed day completed a couple of jobs on the wood lathe then switched to the metal lathe. Practiced clocking in then had a go at cutting an 11 degree crown. It was not as difficult as I thought. I used a piece of one inch round bar stock with a 8mm hole drilled in it for training purposes. I am happy to do it for real next time.
I definatelly need a bigger shed its far to crowded in there.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#12 Post by Mattnall »

I would love space for a good sized wood working shop.
We have a small cheap wood lathe and it is so pleasing to use despite being a bit under powered and stuck in a shed with two lawn mowers and an apple press.
I have made the odd goblet (started out wanting to turn a wine glass but ended up as more a chalice like Indiana found in the Last Crusade). I just would like more space and time to get to know how to use it properly.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

Mattnall wrote:I would love space for a good sized wood working shop.
We have a small cheap wood lathe and it is so pleasing to use despite being a bit under powered and stuck in a shed with two lawn mowers and an apple press.
I have made the odd goblet (started out wanting to turn a wine glass but ended up as more a chalice like Indiana found in the Last Crusade). I just would like more space and time to get to know how to use it properly.
My wood lathe is not a super dooper version Its one of the Axminster models. Its OK for what I use it for. The pen jaws are great for drilling accurate holes in square or round stock.
My problem is lack of space its getting to the point were its actually unsafe. When I am turning I have a metal lathe in front of me my bum is touching the wood lathe behind me.
To my right if I stretch out my hand I can touch the Mill. And there is a Myford ML10 hogging room as well. A large compressor, a chop saw, a band saw, re loading stuff. casting stuff the list goes on.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

no matter how much space you have, you will fill it.
I moved from a back bedroom with one bench and a set of racking, into the garage with twin benches, and I can't move. using the lathe last week I was pushing half a dozen sheets of ply and corrugated roofing from leaning on one bench, to the other one, then when I need to use a vice, pushing it back over to lean in front of the lathe. and if I need to get at the shelving in front of the garage doors, I have to move two bin bags of new loft insulation out of the way each time, then replace, as I can't move otherwise. plus now need to wear shoes in there until the shop vac comes back downstairs as I'm STILL doing the bathroom.
I had 7 days off work due to us shuffling our rota a little, I've wound up doing work on the bathroom everyday, but still have so much to do. don't feel like I had 7 days off
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#15 Post by Mattnall »

bradaz11 wrote:no matter how much space you have, you will fill it.
And the same is true of plug sockets, you'll always need one more than you have in a room.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

An old view of part of our workshop. Even we struggle for space and we work out of an old chapel.
Workshop.png
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

Work in progress bench and one of the workers.
Viking.png
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

Then there is all of the polishing and grinding stuff, the material racks, the surface grinder, the load development area and kitchen. Also the raised section for gun inspections and the granite block and height gauge, oh and the barrel and parts storage. They do say the amount of crap you have is directly proportional to the space available :)
/d

Shed Journal
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#19 Post by snayperskaya »

Ovenpaa wrote:An old view of part of our workshop. Even we struggle for space and we work out of an old chapel.
Workshop.png
This might sound weird but I bet it smells lovely in there, I love the smell of machine shops.......and hot tarmac!
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

A good machine shop should smell fresh and without any sharpness which indicates the coolants are correctly monitored. Tarmac works for me and freshly planed wood and gun oil are two of my favourites, however there was this PA many years ago,no idea what the perfume she wore was but it certainly worked for me.....
/d

Shed Journal