7.62x54r headspace gauge kit.....

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

7.62x54r headspace gauge kit.....

#1 Post by snayperskaya »

What with the bad weather we've been having and waiting for my N.E.W Mosin to be proofed I got bored and decided to knock up a 54r headspace kit as they aren't readily available and this is the result.

I made two types, the first set is a disc type Go, No-Go and Field gauges with a cut out for the extractor and these were cut from some brass bar stock I'd got lying around and were then filed and lapped to the correct thickness for each.A simple disc type of gauge works as the 54r is a rimmed cartridge and all rimmed cartridges headspace on the rim, not on the shoulder like rimless cartridges.

The second type uses a case head (with a 0.060" thick rim) and feeler gauge stock of the correct thickness to give Go/No-Go and Field.I drilled the primer pocket on the case head out and fitted a small magnet that holds the feeler gauge stock between the case head and the bolt face and filed a cut out so it can be used without removing the extractor.

The piece in the lid is a .223 case with the neck closed up and a slot of the correct depth filed into the end of it.....this is for setting the firing pin protusion.

The wooden box was one I had floating about and didn't have a use for until now, so I thought it would be rude not to put it to good use.

I've put them to good use already and checked the headspace on my Mosins and the Dragunov, the bolts on all will close on a GO but refuse to close on a No-Go :good:
_20200307_013636.JPG
_20200307_013930.JPG
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: 7.62x54r headspace gauge kit.....

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Bravo, what such an ingenious approach with the magnet. I am very impressed. The gauges look to be well made as well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

Good job. Well done.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#4 Post by WelshShooter »

Very nice comrade! You should try making a box from milsurp ammo crates to match your rifle rest :D
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#5 Post by redcat »

I'd like to order sets in 7.5 x 55 Swiss, .45-70, .45 Colt & .44-40; others may follow. goodjob Seriously, very well done - love to see someone with a little talent and imagination make use of it and save a couple of quid at the same time.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

Thanks for the kind words chaps :good:

To be honest the disc type would be relatively easy to make for any rimmed cartridge as they headspace on the rim unlikely rimless cartridges that headspace on the shoulder, the gauges fo those would be far more involved.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

WelshShooter wrote:Very nice comrade! You should try making a box from milsurp ammo crates to match your rifle rest :D
I've got a Soviet 7.62x39 ammo crate that I keep a stock of kindling in for the wood burner and I also made a mini 7.62x54r "ammo crate" to keep my packs of primers in :good:
_20200307_174717.JPG