SAAMI versus CIP

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1

SAAMI versus CIP

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I know that if you purchase a chamber reamer from the USA it will be a SAAMI reamer.
Is there a difference in a reamer size shape etc between SAAMI or CIP or is the difference a measurement of the pressure etc or are the reamers different dimensions.
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: SAAMI versus CIP

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

I think the biggest difference between the two is pressures and proofing methods, the two work together on cartridge specs but there are also some cartridges which don't have a SAAMI spec, particularly hunting cartridges that are more popular in Europe and some Russian and European military cartridges such as 7.62x54r and 6.5x52 Carcano.

This might be of interest......

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... ent-saami/
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I use solid Carbide SAAMI roughing reamers and finish with HSS CIP without issues, plus I can get a lot of .223 or .308 chambers cut very quickly and efficiently with carbide.

If you specify CIP from PTG that is what you get. Equally, ask BBT for SAAMI and that is what you get. As above, pressure and Proof measurements vary dimensional as well as maximum pressures across some cartridges.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Hmm interesting I could not really justify the cost of carbide reamers but for your work I guess it makes sense.