.310 cadet

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

.310 cadet

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

If you had a .310 cadet that was shot out what calibers could it be re chambered in.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: .310 cadet

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

I believe .22 Hornet and .218 Bee are popular conversions in the States but would need a rebarrel.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

A common conversion was to convert to .410 which always seemed a shame. As above, the Hornet or Bee would both make lovely conversions. You need a stepped drill to drill the barrel out and a liner, plus an industrial adhesive as opposed to soldering it in and you are good to go. Hammonds do such drills.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

32-20.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

snayperskaya wrote:I believe .22 Hornet and .218 Bee are popular conversions in the States but would need a rebarrel.
As someone who has melissophobia, I find some of these calibre names to be particularly distasteful! lol lol
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

dromia wrote:32-20.
Isn't the 32-20 bullet smaller than the original .310 bore?, could be a problem if the bore is shot out.

A friend has a .310 Cadet that will chamber 32-20 but the accuracy is all over the shop.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

If the bore is shot out then why bother just re-chambering surely it is a re-barrel or reline, with a shot out barrel it will be shot out regardless of the chambering.

My experience of Cadets, I currently have two and must have had at least a couple of dozen over the years, have all had tight bores in the 0.315" to 0.318" groove diameters.

I know some people need 0.323"+ bullets in their Martinis but I have never had one of those, I have the RCBS .310" Cadet bullet mould that has hardly been used as it is way over size for the rifles, to get it to fit it needs to be sized down that much the lube grooves disappear.

That is why I had my own .310 Cadet mould made so that I would have a heeled bullet that fits the Cadets, if I ever get a large bore one then the RCBS mould will come into its own.

Remember the Cadet is a heeled design and just because a bullet will fit the case doesn't mean it will fit the barrel/freebore. I suspect that is why the 32-20 didn't fit in your friends gun. I am a tad puzzled as to why any would think it would in the first place being heeled and straight they are apples and oranges when it comes to bullet fit in the 310 chamber.

Of-course rebarreling and rechambering to a non heeled design in common bore-s will open up a wide selection of bullet choices as the heeled designs are very limited and tricky as the two diameters, heel and body need to be correct for the bullet to fit.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

dromia wrote:If the bore is shot out then why bother just re-chambering surely it is a re-barrel or reline, with a shot out barrel it will be shot out regardless of the chambering.

My experience of Cadets, I currently have two and must have had at least a couple of dozen over the years, have all had tight bores in the 0.315" to 0.318" groove diameters.

I know some people need 0.323"+ bullets in their Martinis but I have never had one of those, I have the RCBS .310" Cadet bullet mould that has hardly been used as it is way over size for the rifles, to get it to fit it needs to be sized down that much the lube grooves disappear.

That is why I had my own .310 Cadet mould made so that I would have a heeled bullet that fits the Cadets, if I ever get a large bore one then the RCBS mould will come into its own.

Remember the Cadet is a heeled design and just because a bullet will fit the case doesn't mean it will fit the barrel/freebore. I suspect that is why the 32-20 didn't fit in your friends gun. I am a tad puzzled as to why any would think it would in the first place being heeled and straight they are apples and oranges when it comes to bullet fit in the 310 chamber.

Of-course rebarreling and rechambering to a non heeled design in common bore-s will open up a wide selection of bullet choices as the heeled designs are very limited and tricky as the two diameters, heel and body need to be correct for the bullet to fit.
I believe he tried the 32-20 cartridges as he had some given him, and only after carefully checking to see if they would chamber correctly.If I remember right he reloads for it using Bertram cases and his own cast bullets (boolits?).

As it would appear that Alpha referred to a shot out barrel I wonder if he means what calibre can it be rebarreled to rather than what can it be rechambered to.....just a thought.

mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#9 Post by mag41uk »

If its shot out look at re chamber/reline in 32magnum.
I believe 357 maximum is the biggest you can go to.
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

Pippin89 wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:I believe .22 Hornet and .218 Bee are popular conversions in the States but would need a rebarrel.
As someone who has melissophobia, I find some of these calibre names to be particularly distasteful! lol lol
Thought that was a made up word O:-)