Steyr SSG 69 MAK Steel Picatinny rail

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Steyr SSG 69 MAK Steel Picatinny rail

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I spent this evening fitting a MAK Steel picatinny rail to my SSG 69.
This rail replaces the original clamp roll on roll off mounts.
It also gives me the option to fit 30mm tube scopes or even bigger if I want. I have a particular scope I want to fit and its 30mm.
The blurb says its a none gunsmithing rail and just slides on then is held in place by four grubscrews.

It definitely does not just slide on. In fact its a right chew on to get it to slide on. It needs a bit of persuading to get it in position. My advice is if you are thinking off going down this route unless you are mechanically minded and have the tools on hand to fettle and fit this mount. Don,t buy it or give it to competent gun smith to fit it.
I got it to the point were it was 3/4 of the way on but blocking the bolt channel. But I then found it did not want to come back off. The only way it was going to move was to force it. So the decision was do I force it off and give up on it and write off the £125 it cost me or do I force it on and accept the fact its never going to come back off.
I decided to fit it I got it some were near but the bolt would not fit in the rifle. At this stage there was no going back so with the rifle firmly held in a gun vice with lots of protective packing every were I taped up the back of the mount with lots of tape then took a large transfer punch and a heavy hammer and very very slowly drifted it into place.
I got there in the end but its never going to come back off.
So I can fit my 30mm scope. If I want I can also fit the original Khales ZF95 using a set of picatinny mounts.
Phew Im glad that ones over and done with.

teanews hmm whats next oh yeah I have an order for 18 .308 caliber handmade pens. That should keep me out of mischief for a while.
Alpha1

Re: Steyr SSG 69 MAK Steel Picatinny rail

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

I mounted the scope it sits OK on the rail I will zero it at the week end and see how it goes.
I,m having a cull as I have said before what I know about rifle scopes can be written on the back of a stamp.
I seem to have accumulated a lot of scopes over the years probably stuff that came on a rifle I purchased then removed and dropped into a convenient box in the loft.
They are probably mainly rubbish I will take them to the club and they can do what they want with them.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Shooting is always the final test
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Shot the SSG to day at 100yards with a Hawke scope. It was very windy and raining. Got it on zero with out to much trouble. The groups were not perfect but the weather was crap.
Then had a go with my Ruger precision in 6.5 Creedmoor fitted with a Vortex scope. I struggled to get a decent sight picture I,m not sure I like this stock. I think I may need a better rail.
I,m tempted to swap the Vortex onto the SSG on the day the SSG performed better.
I enjoyed shooting the Steyr SSG the Ruger was a pain in the bum.
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

OH yeah nearly forgot the .308 pens went like hot cakes. I need to make some more. Now a days more of my .308 cases and bullets end up as pens than being re loaded.