Magtech .308 Brass

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Magtech .308 Brass

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have 100 Magtech .308 cases that I shot in my AI last week, has anyone tried reloading such cases? They were loaded with 180 grain bullets and are boxer primed.

My last batch of Lapua is all shot yet again and I am slowly acquiring a reasonable amount of RWS brass I will use that next however I was curious about Magtech even if I will not be using it.

If it is worth looking at maybe we have a new to .308 reloader that could do with some brass?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Magtech .308 Brass

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

Good brass.
Everybody is hung up on Lapua, I can't understand this expensive fad. I use anything I can get my hands on CHEAP or FREE. I don't see any difference in the results on the target.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I used Lapua for years and looked on it as well worth the investment even at fifty odd quid a box for .308 but I am slowly questioning this decision in some of our rifles. I get every bit as good case consistency with Norma as an example.

My AI is the rifle that gets more through it than anything else, in fact it gets more through it than all the rest put together and certainly out to 6/800 it seems happy with whatever it is fed. I took a few hundred rounds of my version of 7,62 NATO when we went to DK, cases were a mix of Lapua, Norma and Federal and each was loaded exactly the same with CCI Primers, 147 bullets and Vectan SP9 powder built to 2.800", perfect for 600m pinking. Despite the pretty basic load and number of rounds through the barrel I saw no discernible difference in POI between case makes and some pretty decent results often holding 5" groups and seldom if ever straying outside of 7" so good MOA or just below. OK it is not a competition load but for my 7,62/.308 it is plenty good enough and if I do want accuracy I move to a 155 Lap and some N540.

Unless you are looking for the absolute accurate round and always sub 0.5MOA accuracy I would say use what you feel most comfortable with and what best suits your budget.

BTW - those plinking rounds are built using cheap components and the bullet seater is an old Lee permanently set in a very cheap Lee press. Quite telling really.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by bnz41 »

Hi,

I reloaded my stock of .308 Magtech several times, but have now passed them on to a club member who is new to reloading, they did not show any signs of failure. Neil
dodgyrog

#5 Post by dodgyrog »

I just love the MEN (and DAG) berdan cases. I use the No 81 Berdan primer in them.
Same result on the target with less powder being used due to thicker cases. What's more I don't care if I lose one stalking.
I am working on converting them to .243 for the same reason. Use once and don't care if they're lost.
I don't like using RG as the primers are a pain to remove. I swap them for lead at the scrappy.
If you like Boxer primed cases then PPU are hard to beat and people throw them away!!! :goodjob:
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have a few hundred PPU here for just that reason, people throw them away. I seldom have a need for them other than experimenting and giving away to new reloaders.

Rog, any chance of you posting a blow by blow account of how you decap and prepare your Berdan primed stuff?
/d

Shed Journal
dodgyrog

#7 Post by dodgyrog »

ovenpaa wrote:I have a few hundred PPU here for just that reason, people throw them away. I seldom have a need for them other than experimenting and giving away to new reloaders.

Rog, any chance of you posting a blow by blow account of how you decap and prepare your Berdan primed stuff?
I'll do that for you.
Off out now but maybe later this weekend.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

No worries, we are off to Bisley in a bit anyway. :goodjob:
/d

Shed Journal