Gas checks

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
shotgun sam

Gas checks

#1 Post by shotgun sam »

I normally use recovered range lead for making fishing weights but I fancy trying some 303 cast bullets to use in my smle.
Do I need to use gas checks when casting? Is there any manufacturers that sell them in less than 1000 as it seems pointless buying so many if I don’t go any further with casting bullets.

Sam
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Gas checks

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Adam (Dromia) sells them google pukkabundhooks.
Or click on the link on one of his posts he is the go to person in the UK for cast bullet stuff and info.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

It depends.

What velocity and powder type?

If the velocity is below say 1600 fps then no.

However all guns are different so you will need to try with and without to see what works.

Gas checks do not check gas they are used in higher velocities to stop the bullet stripping as it enters the rifling, so appropriate for high velocities and fast twist barrels.

Seating gas checks is not part of the casting process which is done after casting the bullet.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
andrew375

#4 Post by andrew375 »

It depends on if the bullet is a gas check design, that is is the base smaller in diameter to the body? I've never had any luck shooting a gas check design bullet without a check fitted, even with low pressure loads. You can get plain base moulds for 30 cal. , Lyman do a 130 gr. design intended for. 30 carbine that shot very well in my .308 match rifle, velocity was just over 1600 fps.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

That is why you need to try as I have only ever had a problem with one rifle (a No4T) not shooting non gas checked, gas check bullets well in the scores of rifles I have shot cast in over the years

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/