50-95 Winchester

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
capper

50-95 Winchester

#1 Post by capper »

I’ve recently acquired a Winchester 1876 50-95 by Chaparral. I’ve got a few cases & dies but wondered if anyone knew of a source for the lead bullets or a suitable mould. The ideal weight seems to be 350gn, this was sold as an express calibre so a lighter bullet weight appears to suit them, the usual bullet diameter is .510-.512 after reading a few articles, any help would be appreciated.
andrew375

Re: 50-95 Winchester

#2 Post by andrew375 »

You need to ask here at the cast boolites forum. . You are going to be casting, as even if you can find commercially cast bullets they will likely be too hard.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

capper wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:41 pm I’ve recently acquired a Winchester 1876 50-95 by Chaparral. I’ve got a few cases & dies but wondered if anyone knew of a source for the lead bullets or a suitable mould. The ideal weight seems to be 350gn, this was sold as an express calibre so a lighter bullet weight appears to suit them, the usual bullet diameter is .510-.512 after reading a few articles, any help would be appreciated.
slug your rifle, as it seems modern reproductions are a different size, and chiappa may be different to uberti's
For shooters who want a good bullet for Uberti rifles in .50-95, Accurate Molds No. 51-350CL mould is highly recommended. This bullet has the proper nose shape and distance from the crimp groove for positive feeding from the magazine in a lever-action .50-95 Model 1876. Visit Accurate Molds (accuratemolds.com) to see another bullet mould for the .50-95, No. 51-350C. The only difference between these two bullets is that No. 51-350CL is slightly longer with a larger lube groove and designed more with the black powder shooter in mind.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
capper

#4 Post by capper »

I’ve looked recently at the bullet sizes & you’re correct on the bore size differences, mostly .510-.515 but I’ll slug & check. It recently came in but being a little different & excellent condition I thought I’d try to get it going before moving it on.