Tips or persons who can open out push through sizer ?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

Tips or persons who can open out push through sizer ?

#1 Post by dirtbag »

HI there,
I have a lee .430 push through sizer that need to have opened out to .436.
I have seen the YT sandpaper method, but wondered if there is a quicker method.
Does anyone know of anyone that can do this please ?

Thanks in advance
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Tips or persons who can open out push through sizer ?

#2 Post by 1066 »

How about an adjustable hand reamer..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272295893531 ... SwXY5ZRybi
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#3 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks very much, that may do the job !
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by 1066 »

A reamer will cut a very clean hole - do it a bit at a time with plenty of oil and always turn the reamer in the cutting direction, even when withdrawing it. Remember "cut once, measure twice" - you can't make the hole smaller. :)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#5 Post by ukrifleman »

I have opened up one or two Lee push through sizers and my method was to anneal the sizer first, then clamp a piece of wooden dowel with some wet and dry paper into my bench drill and polish out to the required dimension.
Lee dies tend to be very hard and annealing them makes it much easier to work with.
Even when annealed, the die will be much harder than a lead bullet.
ukrifleman.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#6 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
You have to have a bit of experience using adjustable hand reamers especially on hardened materials as there is a tendency for the reamer to "Chatter" in the hole ruining the work piece as with everything experience and practise make the difference.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#7 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks very much, ordered the reamer. The sizer I cant use for anything else other than pay for a custom one so nothing to lose
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

All the Lee dies I have tried to alter have been very very hard. I dont think an adjustable hand reamer will work. But I might be wrong.
Do you know any one with a lathe ask them to make you one. A piece of bright steel would do it. Its only a piece of threaded bar with a hole through the middle after all.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#9 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks Alpha1 , that will be the next thing I will try failing this. I do also have a guy in the USA that has made me a few custom push throughs using lee dies. Obviously he has the kit to do it.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#10 Post by FredB »

The hand reamer will only work if you anneal the die body first. Heat to cherry red and allow to cool slowly.. The amount you are going to use it, you don;t need to re- harden.
Fred