Bullet stuck...So close yet so far

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Bullet stuck...So close yet so far

#21 Post by Pete »

I wouldn't put steel rod down a barrel.......brass should be OK, though...
Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#22 Post by dromia »

Steel isn't a problem, some of the best cleaning rods are steel.

Still, if wary then a couple of wraps of masking tape every so often down the rod should sooth any concerns, however needless they may be.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Peter Leigh
Home club or Range: chepstow Rifle Club

#23 Post by Peter Leigh »

You're just gong to knock it back down the 18 inches or so that it's already come up

The bullet is 1.5 inches from the muzzle end.
monkeyhanger

#24 Post by monkeyhanger »

any luck yet Peter?
Peter Leigh

#25 Post by Peter Leigh »

been very busy today have not started yet...but rifle is on workbench ready. I managed to get a nice long self-tapper ready and did a sort of dry run test on a separate jig as per 'Dromia' instructions. his idea seems to work great on the jig.
Graham M

#26 Post by Graham M »

Be careful not to go off centre when you screw it in. This happened to me earlier this year and it was very scary trying to make sure everything was centred properly. In the end I took the rifle (Winchester Legacy 24" barrel) apart and used an 8mm brass rod and a big hammer to knock it the 3-4 inches out of the barrel.
Stopped using my turret press after that and went back to my single one. At least I can make sure I don't miss a load out by accident.

Oh, I did put a steel washer in front of the rod to try and stop spreading the base of the bullet.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#27 Post by redcat »

The bullet is 1.5 inches from the muzzle end.

So it's already come up the first 18 inches of barrel without a problem - it will go back just as easy. Just like measuring the bore by knocking a bullet down.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#28 Post by dromia »

When using a rod ball up a piece of kitchen towel and put that in first then the rod and tamp it down. It will go solid when under pressure and stop the lead seeping over the rod and jamming.

If it is soft lead then as Redcat says pushing from the muzzle will work fine, however if it is hard cast then it is harder to do, you only use soft (near pure) for barrel slugging as using hard cast is problematical.

Have you tried pushing it down from the muzzle?

A light tap on the rod should get it started and then it will push through with hand pressure. Hard cast won't be so accommodating.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Peter Leigh

#29 Post by Peter Leigh »

Slow and steady wins the race.....Hope this makes a bit of sense....

Thankyou for all your replies...started today with a long look at said bullet, and thought if I am going in through the crown area I had better protect it. So 1 hr later made a 'protection' solid plastic tight fitting tube for protection of crown and barrel sides, all the way down (a whole 1.5 inches to the bullet).Was very happy with that and drilled through the 'protection tube' an exactly centred pilot hole 1/8 size. Replaced 'protection tube' back in barrel and checked for exact center through pilot hole. (bang on!!). Now drilled via 'protection tube' ,right through stuck bullet with 1/8 drill and thats it for today... Now using a brass round I used the old cowboy trick of seeing right along the barrel. I do notice I have unburnt powder in the barrel, so once cleared will start with self -tapper screw. The story continues...... thankssign
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#30 Post by bradaz11 »

you are really overthinking this
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns