velocity decreased after 4 years storage

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
gyt
Home club or Range: I.N.R.A

velocity decreased after 4 years storage

#1 Post by gyt »

Hello everyone. Yesterday I checked the muzzle velocity of ammunition ( seleir & bellot .308win 168 grain) and to my amazement I saw that the muzzle velocity that was about four years ago 2650 fps for the same ammunition decreased significantly to 2520 fps in the same rifle and under the same conditions. Anyone know how to explain this?
Storage in a dry place and at a normal temperature for a living space
Thank you
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: velocity decreased after 4 years storage

#2 Post by 20series »

Same chronograph placed in exactly the same place??

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

And following on from Alan’s post, what was the weather like when you first tested it and were you on the same range?

Altitude, temperature, humidity etc all have a part to play…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#4 Post by channel12 »

You should always record air temperature, atmospheric pressure and range altitude when chronographing your ammo. Nearly all ballistic calculators will require you to give this info to calculate your drops.

Short answer, it was much warmer day 4 years ago when you originally chrono'd the ammo.
Rockhopper

#5 Post by Rockhopper »

Presumably your rifle has been used a fair bit in those four years resulting in some wear to the barrel?
gyt

#6 Post by gyt »

Thanks to all the respondents! Regarding the shooting conditions. Same range same height more or less the same temperature (not measured) same month , different chronograph. about four years have passed and I fired a rifle at about 2000 rounds and the barrel wears off a bit. In the future I will record temperature accurately. There are about 3 potential reasons left: barrel erosion, using a different chronograph, and the thing that scares me the most is that the fire fire powder inside the cartridge has deteriorated. Can this happen?
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#7 Post by DaveB »

All nitrocellulose propellants will deteriorate over time, they deplete their stabilisers and eventually can even self-initiate under extreme conditions. Four years seems a bit short for that to be the case though, given the stated storage conditions. You generally only start to see that sort of deterioration after 15+ years under normal storage conditions.
gyt

#8 Post by gyt »

Thank you Dave
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#9 Post by hitchphil »

The modified Arrhenius equation has a key term Temperature in kelvin K in 2 places. So if you reduce T you significantly slow down K the rate of a deterioration reaction. So i store my powder (not BP) in a 'beer' fridge in a locked garage becuse its a constant temperature & its cool 4C or 277Kelvin vs hot in summer etc. They are in sealed poly tubs. Anything else in there is sealed like bottles or cans so introduce no moisture to it.

There was ammo form sunken ships some years ago that was old but worked fine - i saw some RAF 303 (larger primer to blast a round out of the barrel so prevent jam ups if misfire) it was 1939 & shot fine. At the bottom of the Irish sea its probs a constant 2dec C.

So now we al need a Beer fridge, then a 'beer' fridge or a refrigerated ammo safe! goodjob
Attachments
arrhenious.jpg
arrhenious.jpg (2.25 KiB) Viewed 669 times
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Graham M

#10 Post by Graham M »

Wow...................I sometime do think we overthink things teanews
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.