Reduced Cast 223 Loads

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
GlockworkOrange
Home club or Range: Parkstone Gun Club

Reduced Cast 223 Loads

#1 Post by GlockworkOrange »

Hello, I was wondering if any of you shoot heavily reduced .223 loads for use at gallery rifle ranges etc.? I would like to shoot my .223 at my local indoors range which means I have to keep velocity below 1750fps if memory serves. I can't use jacketed bullets either. I've found two published loads that interest me:

3.2gr Hodgdon Clays with a 55gr FMJ, 1060 FPS

5.4gr Red Dot with a 54gr cast bullet, 1675 FPS

I would like to use the cast 55gr GC bullet that Shellhouse sell (I don't cast my own). Ideally I'd like something inbetween these two loads in terms of velocity. I read a forum post where the Clays load apparently resulted in a stuck bullet which worried me. I'm more inclined to try the Red Dot load but it's getting fairly close to the velocity limit and that's the starting load. Any danger of going a few tenths of a grain under?

Any advice appreciated!
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Reduced Cast 223 Loads

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

When I had a 223 and was shooting subsonic rounds I never had any bullets that stuck in the chamber - that was with the hodgdon data, 3.1gn of titegroup and a 55gn FMJ, which is almost identical to the clays load.

As for using cast bullets, your guess is as good as mine as I only used FMJ but I'd imagine that velocity/pressure would be different due to leads lower friction.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
andrew375

#3 Post by andrew375 »

I shoot plenty of cast in my. 223. Best accuracy is between 1700 and 2200 fps depending on powder. This is with the 72 gr. NEI bullet. A good powder for this application is vectan gm3.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
GlockworkOrange

#4 Post by GlockworkOrange »

Thanks for the replies. I would like to try the Clays or Titegroup load but like you say I'm not sure what effect using a cast bullet instead of an FMJ will have. I would assume less pressure if the bullet is more slippery but I'd rather use a published cast load.

Lyman say that best accuracy was with the 54gr cast bullet at 2100 FPS. I can't go any faster than 1750, but that's the only published cast 223 data I have access to so I think that's the safest bet.
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#5 Post by Mike95 »

Just a thought.. the H and N plated lead bullet.. at 45 gn and 55gn shoot well at reduced load mv... if you can find them. If your e mail is available, I will send you a copy of an older Lyman cast bullet manual page for the .223.. you can probably find it online..

Mike95
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

Reducing fast burning pistol powders isn't a safety concern. It's reducing rifle powders that is said to cause issues.

Sent from my pink toy using "An application"
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
GlockworkOrange

#7 Post by GlockworkOrange »

Thanks for the replies. I just bought the newest Lyman Cast Bullet manual so I'll see what's in that. Also got a PDF of an older one so I'm sure between the two I'll come up with a suitable load.

Also thinking about getting an AK now, I'll have to try and sort out a 7.62x39 load too!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

7.63x39
165grain cast loverin bullet sized to .312. 3.2 grains of bullseye.
GlockworkOrange

#9 Post by GlockworkOrange »

Cheers :good: