Erratic Eley Sport

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

Re: Erratic Eley Sport

#11 Post by Triffid »

I've had a very similar experience with Eley Action to the above - first batch great, but the second was so awful that it was re-christened Eley Inaction at my club.

Thorney did a big testing of .22 ammo for action shooting and the Geko Semi-auto came out on top. We've moved to that and it's been happy days since. Same price as Eley Inaction too.

Of course it's not Target ammo though and I'm sure the comments on the like of Tenex are very valid.

Triffid
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#12 Post by Gh0st »

Never really got on with Eley Ammo in my AR despite trying all the variations.

Most of the issues i encountered were light strikes with the round not going bang at all.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#13 Post by TattooedGun »

We don't tend to shoot high volumes, but I do recall a number of Eley sport failures at our smallbore club over the years. I wouldn't say there's a dud in every box, far from it.

I use Eley Force Exclusively in my K22 and my Lantac - I'm yet to have a dud round out of around 9k rounds - I'm coming up to the end of my second 5k batch.

I use Tenex in my Benchrest/Prone target rifles (Both Anschutz) and can only recall 1 failure to fire on first attempt from my last 2 batches (5k) - the hesitation cost me a point in competition due to losing focus.

I do find that my dad has had a few failure to fire with his Anschutz target rifle, but only seems to have an issue with Eley - whether theres something about the rim thickness that's different to competitors, and is highlighted by his rifle, I'm not sure.

For the club rifles, we use Contact, Sport, Team and Match. I haven't been informed of any recurring issues from any of our stock.

As with all rimfire ammo, consistency changes from batch to batch, maybe I've been lucky with the batches I personally have had?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

The absolute best recent (This year) 10 shot group I have shot was with Eley Contact that had been sorted. A friend we shoot with gave me a box of 43 individually weighed and inspected and there was a significant improvement over anything I had shot before and probably since. It does make me wonder if sorting is the next stage and I know I can order Tenex pre-sorted however as I need to place an order with Eley very shortly I will probably opt for Match for my own use and weigh a few boxes out of curiosity.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

Is Match nothing more than the stuff from the Tenex line that didn't pass that QC? Or is that bollox I heard...?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#16 Post by Les »

Sim G wrote:Is Match nothing more than the stuff from the Tenex line that didn't pass that QC? Or is that bollox I heard...?
I suspect a lot of us have heard the same story, Sim, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

With Eley's product range, it probably goes a lot further than just Tenex/Match.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

My recollection is this, allbeit nigh on two decades now since I visited Eley. Also as this is only a recollection then it could well be wrong in how I recall it today.

It has to do with the tolerances of the equipment, Tenex for example runs to the highest specification of the tooling with minimum tolerances, Match has a slightly wider specification tolerance range so when the tooling is out of Tenex spec after so many million rounds in then enters Match spec tolerances and is continued to run for however many million rounds 'till it becomes out of Match tolerances producing Match spec ammunition.

Over the years I have not noticed much differences 'tween Tenex and Match as regards velocity and going bang is concerned, I suspect the Tenex is slightly more "accurate" than Match but at my level of shooting now I am not able to notice the difference in my scores so Match is fine for my ability.

I bought a 50,000 round batch a few years ago so that will see me out. It just works and I don't need to think about .22" RF ammunition any more

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

So a bit like the Radway Green green spot and black spot 7,62x51 ammunition. I have a BAE/RG Sales chappie literally 50 yards away, I really should ask him about this one day.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#19 Post by Sim G »

Ovenpaa wrote:So a bit like the Radway Green green spot and black spot 7,62x51 ammunition. I have a BAE/RG Sales chappie literally 50 yards away, I really should ask him about this one day.

Ask him if they'll ever supply the U.K. civilian market again, would you?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have, he tells me never ever will it happen ever again. Imagine the horror of someone going over the edge with a rifle loaded with RG...
/d

Shed Journal