Erratic Eley Sport

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Chapuis

Re: Erratic Eley Sport

#31 Post by Chapuis »

Peter Leigh wrote:I dont know if they still do it but 'Eley' used to say they would give you 5000 rounds free if you found and proved on their range that another manufacturer rounds were more accurate than their 'Tenex'. ( they would not say that unless it was a sure bet.) 8-)
Never heard that one but my guess is that if they ever did once say that they haven't repeated it in a long long time. I used to belong to a club that was associated with Eley long ago. We got all our ammunition straight from the factory at much reduced rates.

Any one competing at the very highest level and who uses Eley ammunition will undoubtedly visit their testing facility and batch test their ammunition before setting aside a sizeable quantity that they find works in their rifle or pistol. I know that the other manufacturers of quality .22 ammunition such as RWS operate in a similar fashion. I don't know for certain but worldwide I wouldn't be surprised to find that far more X class competitors use RWS than Eley.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#32 Post by FredB »

its a long time ago now, but Bert Brookes who ran the Eley test centre was a member of our club. We were invited to visit and bring any ammo that we wanted to test. On the shelf were vatious samples of Eley products for comparison. At that time, I was using Match, but I had a box of RWS so I took that along.
The test facility was an Anschutz action clamped in a rigid fixture. Eley talk about ammo "making" Tenex on test. Samples which do not make Tenex become Match and so on.
My box of RWS comfortably made the match standard but did not make Tenex. I asked about competitiors and was told that the only one which caused any worry was Lapua.
As i said, it was a long time ago.
Fred
Chapuis

#33 Post by Chapuis »

Fred isn't at least some of the current .22 ammunition marked as Lapua actually made by RWS?

I think variables are so great with .22 ammunition that other than generalising between budget brands and manufacturers of the better quality ammunition you can't really state with absolute confidence that at any one time one type/brand is any better than another. The only real way is to actually batch test it. The only brand of .22 that I've come across that appears to be constantly mediocre is Remington. Even brands like Aguilla which is often looked down upon has frequently produced some genuinely amazing results.

P.S. I once used Lapua pistol match ammunition in a county pistol competition out of a Sako Tri-ace. The results were so bad that I gave up after the first two cards and resorted to common & garden variety Aguilla as by then I thought that I had totally lost any chance of reaching the podium. Surprise surprise I ended up winning X class.
RDC

#34 Post by RDC »

Chapuis wrote:
Peter Leigh wrote:I dont know if they still do it but 'Eley' used to say they would give you 5000 rounds free if you found and proved on their range that another manufacturer rounds were more accurate than their 'Tenex'. ( they would not say that unless it was a sure bet.) 8-)
Never heard that one but my guess is that if they ever did once say that they haven't repeated it in a long long time.

They were offering this not so long ago on their Facebook account. You could take your rifle and ammo of choice and pitch it against tenex. I was tempted to go down with a rifle that hated Tenex and see if I could 'win' 5k of Tenex for the club. Laziness got in the way of that more than anything.
Chapuis

#35 Post by Chapuis »

Crikey RDC at the price of ammo these days you must be lazy. LOL.
RDC

#36 Post by RDC »

Never underestimate human laziness. lol I assumed there would be some catch, like it had to be a smallbore TR single shot action or you couldn't transfer the ammo to another FAC or something. You are right though, price of ammo would have been worth the trip.

The last mention of it I can find is August 2017.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#37 Post by Ovenpaa »

FredB wrote: ......I asked about competitiors and was told that the only one which caused any worry was Lapua.
Fred
I have tried Lapua a couple of times without much luck. I can remember all those years ago being told to buy a box of everything in the shop to see which one your rifle gets on with. These days I tend to think rifles take a few shots to get used to the new make. Christel having tried many different types shoots her LSR competitions with CCI Hollow Point Subs (Marlin 7000 Target)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#38 Post by Les »

Ovenpaa wrote:
FredB wrote: ......I asked about competitiors and was told that the only one which caused any worry was Lapua.
Fred
I have tried Lapua a couple of times without much luck. I can remember all those years ago being told to buy a box of everything in the shop to see which one your rifle gets on with. These days I tend to think rifles take a few shots to get used to the new make. Christel having tried many different types shoots her LSR competitions with CCI Hollow Point Subs (Marlin 7000 Target)
I have found SK Standard Plus (Lapua) to be on a par with Eley Match. The Rifle plus, strangely enough, doesn't play very well with any of my rifles.
Chapuis

#39 Post by Chapuis »

I have found Lapua subsonic hollow points to be absolutely outstanding. More accurate than both RWS subs and Eley subs and absolutely consistent, just a pity that they are almost unobtainable.

Ditto what Les said about the SK standard, very good indeed but not quite up to the standard of R50 or R100.
RDC

#40 Post by RDC »

RDC wrote:
I also had a duff batch that we had quite a few deep indents in the primers, but no bang. It was for mini rifle and a few of us had problems from the same batch.

I have since bought 3000 from another retailer and so far it's gone fine in everything. I had heard there was a bad batch knocking around shortly after the release of Eley Action, and that's possibly where my first lot came from.

Long term usage summary: I regret buying Eley Action and will not be buying any more of it.

Accuracy is great in my rifles but I simply don't trust it for mini rifle. Far too many failure to go bang in different semi autos, doesn't matter how clean the rifle is.

I had genuine high hopes for it and it was a bonus it's a domestic manufacturer. However it is incredibly disappointing.