Keyholing with PPU SWC, Marlin

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

Keyholing with PPU SWC, Marlin

#1 Post by strangesam »

I've a new to me, Marlin 1894, for which I won't be reloading (as I really don't have the room at home, tiny modern house). It has a new (probably less than 250 rounds) microgroove barrel.

I've been testing a couple of types of factory ammunition, all .38 special

Magtech FMJ Flat 158gn
Magtech LRN 158gn
PPU Lead SWC 158gn

Last night I noticed a number of what looked like tumbling rounds at 10-15m (was practical night) using the PPU SWC. Is that normal?

I final test @10m had 3/11 PPU rounds showing rectangular holes/tears, while all the Magtech LRN holes were nice and circular.

Is this just a thing that happens? I've never really had any ammunition or rifles (.22lr/303) which have exhibited key-holing before.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Keyholing with PPU SWC, Marlin

#2 Post by dromia »

First check the barrel for leading.

Either way the bullets are too small diameter or too hard not setting up in the micro groove rifling. Such rifling needs a throat diameter soft bullet.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#3 Post by GeeRam »

strangesam wrote:I've a new to me, Marlin 1894, for which I won't be reloading (as I really don't have the room at home, tiny modern house). It has a new (probably less than 250 rounds) microgroove barrel.

I've been testing a couple of types of factory ammunition, all .38 special

Magtech FMJ Flat 158gn
Magtech LRN 158gn
PPU Lead SWC 158gn

Last night I noticed a number of what looked like tumbling rounds at 10-15m (was practical night) using the PPU SWC. Is that normal?

I final test @10m had 3/11 PPU rounds showing rectangular holes/tears, while all the Magtech LRN holes were nice and circular.

Is this just a thing that happens?
Most of the .357/.38 underlever's in our club (mix of Marlin, Rossi & Henry) don't seem to like any SWC or flat bullet ammo, only LRN's.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#4 Post by FredB »

What Dromia says.
Bullet nose shape is irrelevant on sub-sonic rounds, unless there are feeding issues.
Bullet fit in the throat is everything.
Fred
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

As said, soft and large is the way with Marlin micro-groove barrels as a rule of thumb. As you're not going to reload, jacketed factory for you.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
strangesam

#6 Post by strangesam »

Thanks, sounds like its not unusual, just ammo sensitive.

I know the FMJ Flat 158Magtech works, so I shall buy some more of that.
Paul101
Home club or Range: Kings Lynn & St. Michael's R&P club + The Grove

#7 Post by Paul101 »

I find 10m is too close to stabilise , try 20m groupings
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#8 Post by FredB »

If you reload. you might be able to afford a larger house.
Fred
strangesam

#9 Post by strangesam »

FredB wrote:If you reload. you might be able to afford a larger house.
Fred
Worst case I probably spend £2k per year on ammo. Even if I saved 50%, thats longer than my remaining lifetime to afford a bigger house. (something 4 bed in a half decent area near me starts at £500,000 and goes up rapidly).

My best hope is inheritance, the lottery, or the wife moving up the career ladder again.
Andy

#10 Post by Andy »

My Rossi 92 would do the same at 25m with ppu swc.
I reload now with the ppu brass and 158gn rnfp GM lead.
Problem gone. it just didn't like semi wad cutters.