Vihtavuori Powder and 215grn .303

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
TomEnfield
Home club or Range: LERA

Vihtavuori Powder and 215grn .303

#1 Post by TomEnfield »

The heaviest .303 bullet which Vihtavuori publish a load for is 180grn. I would like to use Vihtavuori powder, ideally N140, to load 215grn bullets to recreate the MkVI round. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any tips on where to start to develop a load for this?

Cheers,

Tom
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Vihtavuori Powder and 215grn .303

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

A good powder is Accurate 5744
Look in the Lyman cast bullet handbook and the Accurate loading data.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
TomEnfield

#3 Post by TomEnfield »

Cheers, I found the Lyman loads online along with some IMR ones too. I’ve got a load of n140 I need to use and would like to use it in theses failing that I’d like to stick with a VV maybe n150 or n160.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

Viht 140 is not the best choice for cast boolits. I would suggest Viht 120 and keep the loads down!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

140, 150 and 160 are all to slow for what you’re looking for. Roger is right, you need faster powder.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
TomEnfield

#6 Post by TomEnfield »

Good point about going for n120, sorry I got my powder burn rates mixed up.

I’m going to use the BES jacketed 215grn bullets. I want to recreate the MkVI round as closely as possible so that needs a jacketed 215grn bullet going 2050fps.

Dromina and others have helped me in the past to develop a cast boolet load, wanted to try something different and I also need the feeding reliability of jacketed bullets.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

I found this data for 215gn jacketed. http://www.303british.com/id14.html

N160 and N165 burn rates bracket two of the powders mentioned in this data.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
TomEnfield

#8 Post by TomEnfield »

Sim G wrote:I found this data for 215gn jacketed. http://www.303british.com/id14.html

N160 and N165 burn rates bracket two of the powders mentioned in this data.
Cheers thankssign