Lee APP Press

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Lee APP Press

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Other than the awful handle, does anyone have any thoughts or experience of the Lee APP press?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

Re: Lee APP Press

#2 Post by Triffid »

Yes, I got one a couple of months ago.

Didn't even bother with the supplied handle . . . a piece of copper pipe, a solder ring connection, two skateboard bearings and a 8mm bolt replaced that in short order. You can probably knock up something far more professional!

So far I've got it set-up for decapping cases and swaging crimped primer pockets and I must say it excels at both these. I've fitted the four-tube case-feeder from a Pro1000 instead of the single tube it comes with and it'll run through a box of 20 rifle cases in a minute or less once set up correctly. I'm not sure that it's robust enough for case sizing operations though, but that's not what I got it for.

Devils in the detail though with the set-up, like lots of Lee stuff everything has to be just right. For example there's one long expansion spring that works the case-feed mechanism which has to be the right way up in order for it to work properly.

I'll also try it for case trimming using Lee's die-based Quick Trim system - can't see why it won't work with that. Happy to try anything out on it if you're interested.

Triffid
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thank you!

Actually I have no plans, however I was interested. I like Lee stuff, it usually does what it says on the label and for the most just gets the job done. There is a lot of snobbery when it comes to re-loading kit and Lee often takes a kicking for no real reason. I can probably name a dozen good international Open shooters who have Lee kit on the reloading table alongside Wilson and Triebel.

Application is often every bit as important as the name on the box :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#4 Post by Triffid »

I've used lots of Lee stuff in my thirty-plus years of reloading. Some I get on with, some I don't. At its best it's simple but clever ideas well executed - the collect neck sizer for example. At worse there are over complicated things with poor QC - their bullet feeder. I run a Loadmaster permanently set up for .44Mag, which comfortably straddles both classes!

I'm not yet sure which the APP fits into yet; I got it to speed some of the drudgery of brass prep for rifle reloading and I think it does that.

After my earlier email I went and timed myself. 90 seconds to change from pocket swaging to decapping. Then two minutes to decap a box of 20 308 cases, half of which is loading them up into the feed tubes. The weak link in the system is the feed mechanism, which sometimes doesn't cope with tall cases.

Triffid
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#5 Post by mag41uk »

just bought one and its still in the box.
Got it for bulk cast bullet sizing and brass prepping
toffe wrapper

#6 Post by toffe wrapper »

I have one its a great time saver, use it for FL sizing 308 & 556 with large & small drop tubes from LM/Pro1000.
I Factory crimped 600 556 today in just over 40 mins. feeding manually onto slider then letting slider knock them out into catch bin as it fed next i put on. I have swager for it which I will test next time I have a load of GGG to swage.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by Pete »

I just bought their bench Autoprime, and I have to say I'm impressed.............I primed 50 cases in a couple of minutes, without missing a beat.
Prior to this, I've been using Ergoprimes, which are good, but the bench version is much better, quicker, and requires less effort.
If only they'd make a collet neck sizing die for 6.5x47..............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....