Reloading with Prvi Partizan bullets

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
steve853
Home club or Range: North Coates Butts

Re: Reloading with Prvi Partizan bullets

#11 Post by steve853 »

Sim G wrote:I’m still loading with H335 for loads that are deer legal and I can drop onto the target board at 600 yards. With 165gn lead bullets and 8gns of Tin Star, it’s a low powered, cheap and effective gallery load nice out to 100.
So do you use cast bullets? Or ready made? I don’t mind spending a bit more for bullets, as to be honest I don’t shoot as often as I’d like.
England Prevails
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

Mike95 wrote:600 yards with a 30/30... incredible..
No, not that much. As I said, I can drop it on to a target board at 600. Something I do regularly, with the club, so with others in attendance. I can bounce it around that 6’x5’ board more than it will miss. Granted it’s not banging the V bull, but they’ll lob in there nicely.

1973 vintage Marlin 336 Octagon. 22” barrel, and a Lyman tang sight. Hodgdon H335, Sierra 150gn ProGame exits my barrel at 2335fps. Impact velocity is around 860fps, and with a 100 yard zero, I’m 275 inches low, so around 22 feet, or around four and a bit target boards. Nah, not that incredible.

I was taken to “long range .30-30” by a guy on Marlin Collectors who can regularly ring a 3 foot gong at 900!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

steve853 wrote:
Sim G wrote:I’m still loading with H335 for loads that are deer legal and I can drop onto the target board at 600 yards. With 165gn lead bullets and 8gns of Tin Star, it’s a low powered, cheap and effective gallery load nice out to 100.
So do you use cast bullets? Or ready made? I don’t mind spending a bit more for bullets, as to be honest I don’t shoot as often as I’d like.

“Full House” .30-30 I use Sierra 150gn ProGame. For the gallery loads with Tin Star, I either buy Shellhouse .309, 165gn FP cast. Or If time has allowed, I’ll cast some of my own.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

steve853

#14 Post by steve853 »

Sim G wrote:
steve853 wrote:

“Full House” .30-30 I use Sierra 150gn ProGame. For the gallery loads with Tin Star, I either buy Shellhouse .309, 165gn FP cast. Or If time has allowed, I’ll cast some of my own.
I used to cast lead ball for a reproduction Colt Walker in .44 that I owned, but I have never cast bullets. For that I used old roofing lead and/ or stuff that I dug out of the backstop at the range (an awful lot of that)

Do you have to use a specific mix when casting your own? or just what you have?
England Prevails
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

I used to use No2 alloy of 9lb of lead and a 1lb bar of plumbers solder. The solder has become so much more difficult to acquire. Likewise, wheel weights were fantastic but once the EU had zinc put in them, they’re useless for casting with. Range scrap is great! But again, for every 10lb, I’ll add two pounds of lead as the scrap I’ve found is a little too hard to be used straight.

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

Our Club collects the range scrap melts it down then casts it into ingots then sells it to the members. I buy most of it and stock pile it.
steve853

#17 Post by steve853 »

Sim G wrote:I used to use No2 alloy of 9lb of lead and a 1lb bar of plumbers solder. The solder has become so much more difficult to acquire. Likewise, wheel weights were fantastic but once the EU had zinc put in them, they’re useless for casting with. Range scrap is great! But again, for every 10lb, I’ll add two pounds of lead as the scrap I’ve found is a little too hard to be used straight.
That’s what I used to find with my old 44, there’s a lot of Antimony (I think?!) in the scrap.

I’ll give it a try I think, need to see if I can find a flat-nosed bullet mould as they all look to be round- nosed.

Thanks
England Prevails
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#18 Post by FredB »

Range scrap contains a lot of .22 bullets. Every manufacurer of .22 ammo uses antimony. You need a hardness tester---it does not need to give an absolute reading, just a relative one so that you can compare mixes. I use an old hand held industrial tester that pushes a needle into the alloy and gives a reading on a clock gauge. I know that a reading of 32 on my device shows a mix with the same hardness as 25:1 lead to tin. The last lot of solder that I bought came from rapidonline.com.
Fred
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#19 Post by redcat »

steve853 wrote:
I’ll give it a try I think, need to see if I can find a flat-nosed bullet mould as they all look to be round- nosed.

Thanks
Both Lee and Lyman do .30 calibre flat nose moulds.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.