Different in powder loads

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
steve853
Home club or Range: North Coates Butts

Different in powder loads

#1 Post by steve853 »

Hi all
I have a mate who is just starting to reload, and he is trying to match the performance of Federal 223 ammunition with a hand load. I have always used Vihtavouri powders but never been concerned with absolute accuracy as I am only really plinking with my 303. He is worried that the measures given in the Lee loading manual are different from those on the Viht website. He’s using Lapua brass and Sierra bullets.

Anyone got any advice?

Steve
England Prevails
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Different in powder loads

#2 Post by dromia »

Bin the Lee manual and use the Vihtavuori data for their powder.

Lee just copy data from other sources, don't pressure test and usually use the lowest loads to play safe with their "volume system".

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#3 Post by channel12 »

Go with the powder manufacturer's recommendations and note quoted velocities are often from a 20" barrel using a specific primer and case. And obviously don't exceed the manufacturer's maximum load.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#4 Post by WelshShooter »

+1 on Dromia's Post. I would 100% go with the powder manufacturers data. Vihtavuori have load data on their website for Sierra bullets (69gr SMK or 77gr TMK I'm guessing?). He will definitely be able to match or exceed factory ammo with handloads. Don't forget to take overall length into consideration.
steve853

#5 Post by steve853 »

This is what I’m thinking, he said he’s going to look through the Sierra manual (I didn’t know they did one) so I guess he’ll find something similar in there too.
England Prevails
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by 1066 »

It depend what he wants from his ammunition and what he's trying to replicate. If it's for club level target shooting at shortish distances he might be trying to replicate something like Federal "American Eagle" which gives 55 gr bullet at 3,240 fps

If you go to the Vihtavouri website there are more than twenty 55gn combinations that will do that.

In my experience the Lee loads cater mostly for US powders, many of which are not now available to us and often fairly low loads too.

Tell us what he's trying to do, ie fox shooting or long range targets and what twist barrel he has and we could probably offer more advice.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
steve853

#7 Post by steve853 »

He’s loading for fox at 150-200 yards, so I imagine he’ll be using Sierra Blitzking 55 grain heads. The federal powershok he is replacing quotes 3240 FPS, but he has a shortened barrel with a moderator, so I don’t know what he gets. He was mainly concerned with safety, he just bought a Lee kit which included a manual, and there’s so much information on 223 it was confusing him.
England Prevails
RDC

#8 Post by RDC »

steve853 wrote:This is what I’m thinking, he said he’s going to look through the Sierra manual (I didn’t know they did one) so I guess he’ll find something similar in there too.
Sierra reloading manual comes with the RCBS master reloading kit.
steve853

#9 Post by steve853 »

I think that is what he has bought (the manual, not the kit, he got a Lee turret press kit)
Thanks for your time and help guys

Steve
England Prevails
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#10 Post by kennyc »

steve853 wrote:He’s loading for fox at 150-200 yards, so I imagine he’ll be using Sierra Blitzking 55 grain heads. The federal powershok he is replacing quotes 3240 FPS, but he has a shortened barrel with a moderator, so I don’t know what he gets. He was mainly concerned with safety, he just bought a Lee kit which included a manual, and there’s so much information on 223 it was confusing him.
will the bullet hit the fox? is it below max load? is the Fox now dead? job done ! leave all the breast beating over speed and sub MOA accuracy tp the bench rest guys, if you are shooting from improvised rests or offhand you ain't going to notice!
the Lee loads will work and will be safe, they may not be the fastest or most accurate, but for standard foxing use they are all you need.