Survey on rare caliber ammunition - unmet need

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
chdehnhardt

Survey on rare caliber ammunition - unmet need

#1 Post by chdehnhardt »

Hi everyone,
name is Christoph Dehnhardt, I am based in Germany. I joined the forum, because I am conducting a study in various countires (European + South Africa) to assess the availability (or the unmet need) for rare caliber ammunition.

This is commissioned by a group of hunters, who all share the problem of finding quality ammunition for the collector's arms. They would like to assess if certain rare calibers are in higher demand, and eventually cater to this community. Also we are asking about reloading practise.

For that we need the help of gun owners, hunting associations etc, to provide their feedback. We have set up an online survey, and I would like to invite people via this forum to participate. I include the link to the survey below,

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lfWsqs ... K0G9Y/edit

I would be delighted to get feedback from the UK scene. For any questions, you may also contact me at <dehnhardt@med-research.eu>

Cheers,

Christoph
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Survey on rare caliber ammunition - unmet need

#2 Post by Christel »

Not sure we have a lot of hunters on here however worth a post.
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

Not sure we have many hunters on here however feel free to ask your questions.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

FYI your link isn't working.
AL8

#5 Post by AL8 »

does not work for me either
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#6 Post by FredB »

See Kynamco for rare / obsolete ammo.
Fred
Chapuis

#7 Post by Chapuis »

Try this https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lfWsqs ... K0G9Y/edit

Though having gone through the survey I don't think that it has much relevance to the situation in the U.K. and as Fred has already said Kynamco already serve a similar market.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#8 Post by channel12 »

Creating a commercial supply of obsolete calibres would cause more problems than it solved. Here in the UK firearms chambered in obsolete calibres can be held without a licence, there is a an official government of those calibres and those that collect rather than shoot obsolete calibre firearm would faced with having to licence their collections and having to put them in secure storage.

For those of us who own and shoot obsolete calibre firearms a supply of relatively inexpensive cartridge cases we can reload is more important than being able to buy ready made commercial ammunition.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Hi Christoph, we shoot both 6,5x54MS, 6,5x53R (.256 Mannlicher) and 5.6×52mmR I also know of other 6,5x54MS owners in my area. So such a survey is certainly of interest right now.

Welcome to the forum :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#10 Post by 450 Martini »

channel12 wrote:Creating a commercial supply of obsolete calibres would cause more problems than it solved. Here in the UK firearms chambered in obsolete calibres can be held without a licence, there is a an official government of those calibres and those that collect rather than shoot obsolete calibre firearm would faced with having to licence their collections and having to put them in secure storage.

For those of us who own and shoot obsolete calibre firearms a supply of relatively inexpensive cartridge cases we can reload is more important than being able to buy ready made commercial ammunition.
Yes very much so. I had a conversation with a dealer last year who intended to get 577-450 put back into production as he thought it would be a good money spinner. I pointed out that it would make him rather unpopular as all of those section 58 Martini-Henry rifles would probably revert to Section 1. Most who take the time to shoot these old beasts would just be happy with decent cases and availability of moulds and dies.