Sinclair/LE Wilson Case Trimmer

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Rem260

Sinclair/LE Wilson Case Trimmer

#1 Post by Rem260 »

Hi Guys
I have a Sinclair/LE Wilson Case Trimmer the one with then black micrometre. I am trying to trim my Rem 260 cases and the problem I am experiencing is that the cases are trimming with a .002-.004" difference in length. The callipers that I am using are pretty accurate and I check them against some pin gauges I have. (Max error .001) I had set the trimmer to trim the cases at 2.0265 and that was ok with an error of 001" to start. Then I can trim a couple of cases at 2.0240 or 2.022. Nothing is changed in the set up and it can then go back to 2.0265. If I put a previous case back in that was 2.0655 it can re trim at 2.024.
I have checked if anything is loose and all is tight. The shell holder is fine and I always index it in the same position. This the second one I have tried with the same results. The only thing that has not changed between the two is the holder but that does not have anything to do with length. I am using the hand crank and not the powered adaptor.
I can not for the life of me see how I am getting these changes.
Please help it's driving me crazy.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Sinclair/LE Wilson Case Trimmer

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Are they new or fired cases are they all the same make. Do you trim before or after sizing.
DaveT

#3 Post by DaveT »

I have the same tool and if you vary the pressure on the crank handle it will vary the end result.
Set it up such that you don't lean on the crank and keep pressure consistent.
Rem260

#4 Post by Rem260 »

They are once fired, full length sized Lapua cases.
Rem260

#5 Post by Rem260 »

DaveT wrote:I have the same tool and if you vary the pressure on the crank handle it will vary the end result.
Set it up such that you don't lean on the crank and keep pressure consistent.
I do try to make sure that the crank butts right up to the bearing. So it should be consistent.
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

I have the same trimmer I agree dont force the krank handle or you will get inconsistant results. Try to develop a steady rythm. I personally think the LeWilson trimer is one of the best on the market.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

Alpha1 wrote:I personally think the LeWilson trimer is one of the best on the market.

I would have thought with what the OP has stated and that you and Dave concur to it's fickle nature, then perhaps it is not the "best" on the market....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

It's the best trimmer I have ever owned and I have had a few over the years. I have no issues with mine every case comes out a consistent length. Once the krank handle comes up against the stop. STOP job done.
Rem260

#9 Post by Rem260 »

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Thinking of what does not stay consistent is the amount of pressure needed to seat the case in the holder. Looking at that I am finding little pressure cuts long and firm pressure cuts shorter. Finding the balance is the key. How to achieve this is the question. Erring on firm at first and then even more firm if it cuts long.

What I am thinking is that the case is compressing when being inserted into the taper of the holder and reducing its overall length. The springiness of the brass allowing this to happen. Couple with maybe some variation on certain cases.

I should have said making the case longer and then shrinking back.
PaulH68
Home club or Range: Bisley, Gally Hill Shooting Club

#10 Post by PaulH68 »

Hi,

Did you get around to measuring the case length, once trimmed, whilst the case is still in the holder and then again once it has been removed? Was there a difference in measurements when you did this?

Paul