Vectan Tu5000 308 load.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Dee205
Home club or Range: Home club

Vectan Tu5000 308 load.

#1 Post by Dee205 »

I'm shooting a Savage 10 fcp in 308.
Our club has a 100m range and on occasions we get to use a military range to shoot out to 600m.

I'm looking for some load tips if possible.

I use 168gr hpbt and vectan Tu5000.

Being in the early stages of reloading I started with the min and worked my loads up to the max which iirc was just over 42gr.

I managed to hit a sweet spot at 38.4gr and even though I haven't chrono'd it yet I know it's my go to load for 100m target.

Shooting out to 600m its a different story. Velocity is too low and my bullet is striking the target sideways.

Moving on and increasing load up to the maximum and my spread widens.

I've read from a few different sources that's vectans max load data is somewhat tame and that most people have to load over max to get the required grouping results.

I can't find a definite figure though or a figure definite do not go beyond figure.
Has anyone any experience in loading Tu5000 and 168gr heads that could give me any advice or tips.

Sent from my I3113 using "An application"
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

Re: Vectan Tu5000 308 load.

#2 Post by ukrifleman »

SDC10749.JPG
SDC10748.JPG
Welcome to the forum!

Here is the listing for .308 Win from my 2006 Vectan load data manual.

As you can see, the never exceed charge for 168gn (Sierra) bullets is given as 42.0gn of TU3000.

The only mention of TU 5000 is for 150gn projectiles.

Before anyone else mentions it, may I politely point out that the term `heads` in reloading parlance, refers to the case head.

Bullets are not `heads` in spite of the fact some retailers label their boxes of bullets as such!

I hope you find the information of use and you work up a successful load.

ukrifleman
Dee205

#3 Post by Dee205 »

ukrifleman wrote:
SDC10749.JPG
SDC10748.JPG
Welcome to the forum!

Here is the listing for .308 Win from my 2006 Vectan load data manual.

As you can see, the never exceed charge for 168gn (Sierra) bullets is given as 42.0gn of TU3000.

The only mention of TU 5000 is for 150gn projectiles.

Before anyone else mentions it, may I politely point out that the term `heads` in reloading parlance, refers to the case head.

Bullets are not `heads` in spite of the fact some retailers label their boxes of bullets as such!

I hope you find the information of use and you work up a successful load.

ukrifleman
Thanks for the info mate. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Bullet, bullet head, projectile or whatever people choose to call it. I have got more recent data for Vectan and it lists the 168 but as you've said it's around the 42gr mark.

I know there are other users who load more work no pressure issues etc.

I'm in the middle of loading some lighter loads but will make a batch of vectans never exceed load. And check muzzle velocity to see where its sitting.

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Correct nomenclature in hand loading is not a choice, if we wish to share information safely!

It leads to confusion and confusion leads to errors which can lead to dangerous loads.

Handloading requires a disciplined attitude which being cavalier with terms would indicate you lack.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dee205

#5 Post by Dee205 »

dromia wrote:Correct nomenclature in hand loading is not a choice, if we wish to share information safely!

It leads to confusion and confusion leads to errors which can lead to dangerous loads.

Handloading requires a disciplined attitude which being cavalier with terms would indicate you lack.
So by calling it a bullet head you say I lack discipline? Are you serious?

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Obviously.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Dee205

#7 Post by Dee205 »

dromia wrote:Obviously.
I would hazard a guess that 99% of people here call them heads or bullet heads.. Does that really matter? I think not. I've have 2 boxes in front of me.. One says rifle bullets. The other says heads.

Why the ignorant reply may I ask?
Why take the time to write a reply to a fairly novice reloader asking advice if you're not going to be helpful?

dromia
Site Admin

#8 Post by dromia »

Your continued failure to see the importance of correct terminology just validates my view of your attitude to handloading.

I am trying to helpful by trying to help you achieve the correct mind set for safe handloading, the first responder to your post politely pointed out to you need for correct nomenclature, you chose to reject this hence my view on your attitude.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Dee205

#9 Post by Dee205 »

Thanks, I'll be honest and I don't mean to sound rude but your replies have been nothing more than patronising..

You've assumed that because I have not used the right name for the right component, that I lack discipline towards handloading.

You are 100% incorrect.

That's like saying someone who says brass instead of casings.

Please, enough nonsense.

If you would like to help then please re-read my initial post and insert the correct terminology where you feel appropriate.

Have a good day.

dromia
Site Admin

#10 Post by dromia »

Obviously your attitude stops you from learning, I just hope that I never have to run the risk of sharing a range with you.

For the safety of you and everyone else who shoots with you I hope that your attitude improves and you gain a better openness to learning.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!