PC`ing cast bullets

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

PC`ing cast bullets

#1 Post by mag41uk »

Any one doing this here in the UK?
What method are you using and where are you getting the powder?
I am a member on castboolits and understand the concept.
Don't want an argument about pros and cons of doing it!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: PC`ing cast bullets

#2 Post by dromia »

I have tried it extensively a few years ago and the bottom line was that it conferred no benefits to me on the target over conventional lubing.

In addition I found it a very messy and fiddly process and tried every way from simply tumbling in powder and acetone to the electro static method, the other thing is that all powders are not the same and had to get some sent over from the states to get the same level of coverage and adhesion as they were getting as none of the UK powders I used gave that other than with the electrostatic method.

Perhaps if we were back in the pistol days and I was still shooting 2000 rounds a week of one or two calibres then as a bulk process it may have merits in getting set up for it.

Never had great success from it when the velocity started going up over 1500 fps, I know there are chaps in the US getting good velocity and accuracy from powder coated bullets but it is still a involved process that respects the nature of what they are working with and as such is no short cut to shooting high velocity cast bullets with accuracy.

For a coating then Xlox tumble lube does just as well for most similar applications with a lot less fuss and mess, if you need to size your bullets then using conventional lube is a far easier simpler and effective method.

The fecking powder is a real pig to manage and the whole of my garage is still covered in the fecking stuff, not really worth the bother in my experience but if you are looking for something just to while away the time for no reason then it is a good a way as any though it can work out expensive if you really want a decent coating.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#3 Post by dodgyrog »

I must admit to investigating the idea but really couldn't see the point!
I prefer the lubesizer method and will stick to it.
That said, the Yanks seem to idolize coloured boolits for some reason! Lol
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#4 Post by mag41uk »

Thanks both!
Pretty much sums up my view of it. Seems potentially messy for no observable benefit.
Having been alox/pastewax tumbling for many years I will stick with it.
Probably only shooting 2k a year nowadays on out door ranges.