Reloads Vs factory

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

Reloads Vs factory

#1 Post by Bovril »

One just starting out at my club, shooting exclusively 22lr at present but will move onto centrefire shortly. Obviously there is a wide range of prices across the calibres but within the calibres there is also a decent spread. The most obvious is between factory loads and reloads.
I don't know much about reloads but presume as the brass has been fired previously there may be less precise fitting between components. For a new target shooter should this be something to avoid, or as I'm pretty crap will I not know the difference?
I'm using club guns so they are generically zero'd which again will make them less accurate.
Apart from accuracy are there any other factors that I should be aware of if I opt for reloaded ammunition?
Cheers.
kevinww

Re: Reloads Vs factory

#2 Post by kevinww »

You have it slightly backwards, factory rounds have to fit all rifles of that particular calibre so are generally a looser fit, whereas a reload can be tailored to your particular rifle, think more of them as hand loads rather than reloads, part of the process is resizing brass back to a known size, which again can be specific to your rifle and won't necessarily chamber in another rifle of the same calibre .
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

One of the best pieces of advice I have been given is never use ammunition that someone else has reloaded!, only use handloads that you have made yourself.

Handloaded ammunition is usually more accurate than mass produced factory ammunition and can be tailored to obtain the optimum accuracy from an individual firearm whereas factory ammunition is made to allow it to be safely shot in a wide range of firearms with varying tolerances....a one size fits all if you will.

Handloading can be immensely satisfying but safety must be paramount, read as much as you can on the subject then read it again and if you start double check everything and then check again!.

Chances are there are members at your club that reload, they will be able to give advice and maybe take you under their wing if you decide you want to try reloading.If you spend some time watching an experienced reloader it is time well spent.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021

#4 Post by Bovril »

Ah, thanks for that. It's strange that they are offered at the club for general purchase then isn't it?
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#5 Post by Lancs Lad »

Bovril wrote:Ah, thanks for that. It's strange that they are offered at the club for general purchase then isn't it?

Under NO circumstances should reloaded ammunition be offered at your club for general purchase!

:flag13: LL
rox

#6 Post by rox »

Bovril wrote:Ah, thanks for that. It's strange that they are offered at the club for general purchase then isn't it?
Just because handloads *can* be made for a specific firearm, they don't have to be. They can also be made and tested to the same interchangability specs as factory ammo.
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021

#7 Post by Bovril »

I've never tried to buy any and it may well be that they would be flagged as for particular rifles should I attempt to.
I'll ask next time I'm in.
kevinww

#8 Post by kevinww »

all depends who reloaded it, HPS offer commercially reloaded ammo, as do others, which may be what they are selling.
rox

#9 Post by rox »

Lancs Lad wrote:Under NO circumstances should reloaded ammunition be offered at your club for general purchase!
Because...?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#10 Post by Mattnall »

The biggest issue with selling reloaded ammo is the liability insurance. If you cannot get the insurance you shouldn't sell, there will be no accountability or redress.

I have to keep samples of every batch I make in case there are any issues later on. The insurance company insist on it and they also are quite strict on the recipes I use, there can be no 'free styling' with load tweeking.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.