Reloads Vs factory

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
rox

Re: Reloads Vs factory

#31 Post by rox »

Lancs Lad wrote:
Mattnall wrote:Maybe a little excessive in the use of words but the sentiment is sound even if not strictly true for commercially made reloads. Reloads from bloke-at-the-club should be avoided.
Which is pretty much what I meant with my original answer. Reloaded ammo from the bloke on the range should be avoided. Commercially reloaded ammo will have to meet all the necessary testing criteria and I would have no issues with using that ammo.
...except that I don't think this thread was ever about buying handloads from 'some bloke at the range'. It's about a club producing ammunition for its members.

Do you consider a club to be 'commercial'? and why does being 'commercial' make it ok?
Is there some rule about being commercial? Surely the act of selling make it a commercial action.

Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#32 Post by Lancs Lad »

rox wrote:
Lancs Lad wrote:
Mattnall wrote:Maybe a little excessive in the use of words but the sentiment is sound even if not strictly true for commercially made reloads. Reloads from bloke-at-the-club should be avoided.
Which is pretty much what I meant with my original answer. Reloaded ammo from the bloke on the range should be avoided. Commercially reloaded ammo will have to meet all the necessary testing criteria and I would have no issues with using that ammo.
...except that I don't think this thread was ever about buying handloads from 'some bloke at the range'. It's about a club producing ammunition for its members.

Do you consider a club to be 'commercial'? and why does being 'commercial' make it ok?
Is there some rule about being commercial? Surely the act of selling make it a commercial action.

I don't consider a club to be 'commercial'. By 'commercial', I was looking at companies such as HPS who I have no doubt ensure that their reloaded ammunition for sale meets all the necessary testing / manufacturing criteria. Anything less than this would leave them wide open to litigation. Trust has to start somewhere and compliance with agreed standards is as good a place as any. No matter how much faith you have in the bloke down the range, 'if' something goes wrong, where does that leave the injured party?

On a personal basis, my handloads are for me and me alone. I wouldn't even consider selling them to someone else or even passing them to another shooter for free quite simply because they are made specifically for my rifle. I don't believe that I am the only person who handloads and shares this particular sentiment.

I'm done with this thread.

:flag13: LL
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#33 Post by Alpha1 »

If a club I belonged to was selling re loaded ammo put together by some one belonging to the club. I would not use it no matter how cheap it was.
I would also be concerned if I was an official of the Club if there was an incident they could end up in court.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#34 Post by TRG-22 »

Wouldn't liability insurance issues make it a non-starter for a club to make their own ammunition on a "commercial" basis?
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
rox

#35 Post by rox »

Lancs Lad wrote:Trust has to start somewhere and compliance with agreed standards is as good a place as any. No matter how much faith you have in the bloke down the range, 'if' something goes wrong, where does that leave the injured party?
You still seem to be stubbornly turning the argument towards individuals (bloke at the range), rather than a club, producing CIP approved ammo to the same standards and testing as small commercial manufacturers, and covered by liability insurance. It seems you base your trust on the letters 'Ltd'.
Lancs Lad wrote:On a personal basis, my handloads are for me and me alone. I wouldn't even consider selling them to someone else or even passing them to another shooter for free quite simply because they are made specifically for my rifle. I don't believe that I am the only person who handloads and shares this particular sentiment.
You giving or selling your ammo that was made for your rifle is a different scenario entirely, and no one with any sense would suggest otherwise.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#36 Post by Sim G »

To manufacture and sell ammunition you need to be registered as an RFD. Likewise, under numerous UK and EU regulations, ammunition produced is required to be tested to ensure safety and quality.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
rox

#37 Post by rox »

Sim G wrote:Likewise, under numerous UK and EU regulations, ammunition produced is required to be tested to ensure safety and quality.
Indeed, that is proof testing.
Sim G wrote:To manufacture and sell ammunition you need to be registered as an RFD.
To sell to the public, maybe. But does that apply to clubs supplying members at club shoots? Do you know where this can be found in legislation?