Reloads Vs factory

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Reloads Vs factory

#21 Post by Mattnall »

rox wrote:
...So it just needs insurance and proof testing then? Hardly 'Under NO circumstances'.
Maybe a little excessive in the use of words but the sentiment is sound even if not strictly true for commercially made reloads. Reloads from bloke-at-the-club should be avoided.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#22 Post by TRG-22 »

Surely that depends on how well you know them, how much you trust them, and how much you yourself know to be confident that any trust decision is sound? Or whether you trust another authority, e.g. the long-standing club members who tell you that they've all been buying Fred's rounds for years and they are as sound as a bell?

For example, if you shared a club with David or Christel, would you refuse to have anything to do with ammunition they'd loaded?
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#23 Post by Alpha1 »

I would not use anybody else,s reloads in any of my guns no matter how well I knew them.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#24 Post by snayperskaya »

TRG-22 wrote:Surely that depends on how well you know them, how much you trust them, and how much you yourself know to be confident that any trust decision is sound? Or whether you trust another authority, e.g. the long-standing club members who tell you that they've all been buying Fred's rounds for years and they are as sound as a bell?

For example, if you shared a club with David or Christel, would you refuse to have anything to do with ammunition they'd loaded?
I will now only shoot handloads that I've loaded regardless of how proficient someone else may be as it only takes a momentary lapse of concentration to make a mistake.If that mistake is down to me then it is my fault but if it is down to someone else thats a whole different ball game!.If I've got 56,000-odd psi of pressure inches from my face I want to know that the round is safe and within set parameters.

If you shoot someone elses handloads you cannot 100% guarantee what powder weight they've used, how many times the cases have been fired, what primer they've seated etc.....you only have their word for it and as said people can and do make mistakes, for example you cannot double-charge a 54r case but with some cases it's possible and that'll mess your day up if they've got it wrong and it is you that squeezes the trigger on that round!.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#25 Post by dromia »

TRG-22 wrote:
Absolutely if it was offered to me to fire in my gun, but then they know better than to offer it in the first place.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
TRG-22

#26 Post by TRG-22 »

That answers the next question I was going to ask - would any responsible hand-loader ever offer ammo to anybody else anyway?

So thanks for all the replies - I stand corrected. And that's genuine thanks, BTW, as written, no sarcasm. I'm pleased to learn, not peeved.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#27 Post by Lancs Lad »

Mattnall wrote:
rox wrote:
...So it just needs insurance and proof testing then? Hardly 'Under NO circumstances'.
Maybe a little excessive in the use of words but the sentiment is sound even if not strictly true for commercially made reloads. Reloads from bloke-at-the-club should be avoided.

Which is pretty much what I meant with my original answer. Reloaded ammo from the bloke on the range should be avoided. Commercially reloaded ammo will have to meet all the necessary testing criteria and I would have no issues with using that ammo.

:flag13: LL
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

#28 Post by Bovril »

I'm back at the club on Monday so will ask what the score is with their reloads.
TRG-22

#29 Post by TRG-22 »

After what's been said here, hopefully it's all commercial reload.

The Phoenix Range (so named following an unfortunate incident involving hand-loaded incendiary rounds) website has this:

but doesn't show anything other than new ammo. Or anything other than .22LR, so probably not the full story.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#30 Post by Mattnall »

Lancs Lad wrote:
Which is pretty much what I meant with my original answer.

:flag13: LL
I got your back, LL. :good:
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.