Reloads Vs factory

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Reloads Vs factory

#11 Post by FredB »

I started shooting centrefire in the early 1970s. Calibres over the years: 32 S&W long, 9x19, 38Special, 357 magnum, 45 Colt, 455 Webley, 30 M1 Carbine, 32 ACP., 44-40, 310 Cadet, 300 Sherwood, 8.15 x 46R, 11,43 Mauser, 577 Snider and probably a few more that I have forgotten about.
I won the Classic Self Loading Pistol event at Pistol '80 with some Norma factory 9mm ammo that i had been given. Apart from that and a few 303s, I have never used any factory ammunition.
Fred
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#12 Post by Lancs Lad »

rox wrote:
Lancs Lad wrote:Under NO circumstances should reloaded ammunition be offered at your club for general purchase!
Because...?
Litigation issues?
Has the ammo been tested to commercial factory ammo standards?
Will it actually fit your particular chamber?
Will it exceed safe pressures?

:flag13: LL
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#13 Post by TRG-22 »

kevinww wrote:HPS offer commercially reloaded ammo
I was curious about that, because one would think that at the volumes a commercial maker works, the logistics/costs of acquiring used brass and checking it to the level that an insurer would demand would outweigh the costs of buying new.

But lo - indeed they do, so it must be cheaper, in some circumstances. Unless once-used brass is better in some way?

Now - hand-loading or custom rounds made using new components to a particular spec which is not commercially available, that I can understand. Maybe it's a product like that which the OP's club sells, and it wasn't properly explained to him?
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#14 Post by Pippin89 »

I think there is a bit of misunderstanding here. People who are saying you shouldnt use it are talking about home loads that people have made themselves.
As someone else pointed out ammo manufacturers make commercially reloaded ammo. Same as factory but using once fired brass. You can buy this from the NSRA shop and save about 10% from memory....

In my opinion it's not worth it as that 10% you can make back selling on your "once fired" brass if you are not home loading.
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

#15 Post by Bovril »

I'm sure the club is being appropriately responsible and safe, as with everything I've encountered so far in my dealings there. I hadn't intended to cause such a polarised discussion!
Once I've asked them about it I'll post back!
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by 1066 »

Bovril wrote:I'm sure the club is being appropriately responsible and safe, as with everything I've encountered so far in my dealings there. I hadn't intended to cause such a polarised discussion!
Once I've asked them about it I'll post back!
Just as a matter of interest - are we talking 25 yard lever action gallery type reloads or longer range .308/7.62, .223 type shooting?

Casting your own bullets and reloading for gallery rifle in .38 special, .357, .44 etc. there is a good financial saving to be made, a cartridge tailored to your needs and very often more accurate. The tools to get started are necessarily expensive and it's an absorbing hobby in it's own right.

Reloading for top accuracy for long range rifle shooting will probably not save you a lot of money but you should be able to make a better round than the factory equivalent. Also need to pay more attention to details etc.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#17 Post by ukrifleman »

As far as I am aware, all ammunition offered for sale in the UK, must first undergo testing and approval to CIP standards.
ukrifleman
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#18 Post by snayperskaya »

ukrifleman wrote:As far as I am aware, all ammunition offered for sale in the UK, must first undergo testing and approval to CIP standards.
ukrifleman
That's my thinking too......

I will admit that before I knew better I was given some 54r handloads to try that a fellow club member had reloaded.I shot a few and put the rest to one side, which was a good job as for some reason, don't ask me why, I later gave each one a shake and in all but one I could hear the powder inside the case.......the silent one had been primed and the bullet seated without any powder in the case!!!.

I vowed there and then that I would never fire a round that wasn't either factory made or one that I'd personally reloaded myself.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#19 Post by TRG-22 »

snayperskaya wrote:One of the best pieces of advice I have been given is never use ammunition that someone else has reloaded!
Similar advice can be given re parachutes..
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
rox

#20 Post by rox »

Lancs Lad wrote:
rox wrote:
Lancs Lad wrote:Under NO circumstances should reloaded ammunition be offered at your club for general purchase!
Because...?
Litigation issues?
Has the ammo been tested to commercial factory ammo standards?
Will it actually fit your particular chamber?
Will it exceed safe pressures?
...So it just needs insurance and proof testing then? Hardly 'Under NO circumstances'.