Bench powder dispenser recommendations

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Bench powder dispenser recommendations

#1 Post by Blackstuff »

Hello all,

Just wanting to pick the collective brain. I've (finally) started reloading my own shotgun ammunition (had all the equipment sitting on a shelf in the man cave for over 3 years 8-) lol ) and i'm looking for a powder measuring device to speed things up as i'm currently having to manually trickle the powder into a pan on the scales by hand. (I reload rifle cartridges too but do that with a press mounted dispenser which is activated by the case so I can't just use that).

I have a Lee Loadall II but it can't be tuned and it was bought secondhand and has significant powder leakage so i'm literally just using it to deprime cases at the moment!

Looking for something bench mounted/sitting. There seems to be options from £30-700 (Lee Perfect Powder Measurer-high end electronic dispenser combined scales)!! I have developed a load so it won't be chopping and changing a lot, it just needs to be reasonably consistent +/-0.1-1.5gr.

I have no brand prejudice and have had good results with budget stuff like Lee as well as higher end stuff like Hornady.
DVC
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

Re: Bench powder dispenser recommendations

#2 Post by shoppe »

There is nothing wrong with the Lee perfect powder measure. It will suit your needs perfect. I have used them for years with no bother.
Shoppe
North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

#3 Post by North Star »

I have been very pleased with my Redding powder dispenser. I have it set up to throw a little bit light, then I trickle in a small ammount to level the beam on my scale. Depending on your needs, it may work just fine the way it is?
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#4 Post by Geek »

I have an RCBS Chargemaster Lite for reloading rifle cartridges, which I would highly recommend.

I too would like to start loading shotgun cartridges.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
rox

#5 Post by rox »

Blackstuff wrote:(I reload rifle cartridges too but do that with a press mounted dispenser which is activated by the case so I can't just use that).
I'd consider using the same model of dispenser as you use for rifle, then you have a spare dispenser or a source of spare parts on-hand in case of any issues. Plus, since you already have one you can test it meets your consistency requirements with the appropriate powder before you buy.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#6 Post by WelshShooter »

In my experience I've found different types powder measures to be better suited for depending on the type of powder you use. I've listed the two types of powder dispenser I've used and shown the exact one in brackets.

Volumetric powder measure (eg RCBS Uniflow)
Ball powders dispense very well in this type of powder dispenser. Once you've set the desired charge, you can throw very accurate charges. Using powders like Ramshot Tac, Big Game and True Blue you can easily control the charges to +/-0.1gr.

Flake powders work ok with this type of powder dispenser, however, sometimes the dispenser can bind when throwing a charge which typically causes a larger change in charge, sometimes as much as 0.3gr. When using Bullseye I usually throw charges to +/-0.1gr but with the occasional spike, but you can detect this by feel.

Extruded powders like RS60 and Viht N140 aren't that great with these types of dispenser and binding is quite frequent. When the action binds the charge can change as much as 0.5gr which is rather significant, especially if you're loading at maximum load.

If you end up using more than one powder or more than one type of charge, I'd reccomend getting the micrometer addon as this greatly speeds up setting the desired volume when changing powder/charge.

Automatic trickle (eg RCBS Chargemaster lite)
Ball powders aren't the best in this type of dispenser just because of the mess they make. The powder bounces around the pan and onto the bench which can be a PITA to clean. When I finished using the dispenser and empty the powder out, I found that it gets stuck in all the small gaps. If you have the remotest amount of static the powder will stick to it.

I've used flake powders just once in the dispenser and found it painfully slow. The device starts dispensing quickly and then trickles the last 1-2gr. When using powders like Red Dot or Bullseye typical charges are 3-5gr for 357mag which means the device is almost always in trickle mode. If you can put up with the infrequent binding then the volumetric dispenser is probably the way to go.

Extruded powders are excellent for these dispensers and is the only powder I use in mine. It can throw very consistent charges but you do get the occasional charge which is +/-0.1gr, however, the scales will clearly show this. If you're paying attention (which you should always be) you can get identical charges (as far as the scales tell you). Dispensing 50gr of Viht N140 takes around 45 seconds.
Blackstuff

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far :good:

I ended up getting the Lee Perfect Powder Measure as I managed to get it for £24 on the way down to a UKPSA conference weekend. I took some powder with me (CSB5 - a flake/disc powder) to get it set up and to trial it. I was just using it G-clamped to my hotel writing desk and I didn't have the required tools to get it properly snugged up to the included mount so I don't know if that was effecting it but it was a bit inconsistent depending on how hard you operate the lever. The manual does say there's a break-in period though.

I was measuring every throw (after getting it near the charge weight I was after) and it would stay the same for a run of say 10-15 throws, then i'd move something and it would jump 0.3-4gr but then stay at that weight for the next dozen throws? Anyway, even doing that and weighing every load its still faster than using a dipper and hand-trickling the powder everytime.

If it doesn't stabilize once I've got it set up properly at home i'll look at some of the other options suggested.
DVC
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

One of the many things working against the Lee measure working is the sprung steel "stand" it is mounted upon, if this is replaced with a stiffer mounting bracket it will go someway to giving a tad more consistency. All volume measures need practice in operation to give consistency so the less the inconsistent variables in the measure and the mounting the better so that you can just concentrate on your own method.

I use a Lee measure to drop a near charge and then complete with the Target Master trickler I have never really had success with the Lee "Perfect" when used on its own. My own favourite adjustable volume dispenser is the Belding and Mull, Tanners do an excellent thrower of similar type at a very friendly price, followed by the Lyman 55, the Reddings and then the RCBS.

I much prefer fixed volume measure and use the RCBS little Dandy, I have six of these each with a different rotor, 2 Lyman Accumeasures with different rotors, I also like the Lee auto disc and their new auto drum powder measure but these are press operated which aids consistency.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I use a RCBS powder dispenser a toffee hammer and the target master powder trickler for all my rifle reloading.
I use modified Lee disc powder measures for small charges they are modified to be hand operated mounted on a stand not on the press.
Blackstuff

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

Thanks for the input chaps, I've still not had a chance to use the Lee again but I've at least got it properly fixed to the shaped wooden block so that it can be mounted into my Lee bench plate. Still on the stand it comes with but i'll see if that improves things, or i'll try to beef things up as Dromia suggests :good:
DVC