Showing fac for powder?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Showing fac for powder?

#1 Post by mag41uk »

Is this a requirement in law now?
Gazza

Re: Showing fac for powder?

#2 Post by Gazza »

Last time I bought powder (nitro) my ticket was in for variation but they still sold it to me.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#3 Post by Geek »

Not that I was aware.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#4 Post by ukrifleman »

mag41uk wrote:Is this a requirement in law now?
For primers yes, for nitro powder no.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#5 Post by channel12 »

If you were some random bloke walking in the shop I can understand a degree of caution by the gun shop.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

I think most Registered Firearms dealers do this now especially if you are not known to them. I get my powders from two sources I have dealt with them for years they don't all ways ask for my certificate. It's not a legal requirement more a cautionary measure. I don't have a problem showing my certificate when buying powder or primers.
rox

#7 Post by rox »

Unless you have an explosives license, it is your FAC/RFD/Shotgun license etc that exempts you from requiring one in order to acquire smokeless powder.
Below extract from 2014 regs, so check for updates before depending on this!

SCHEDULE 2
Regulation 5(3)(a)
EXPLOSIVES NOT REQUIRING AN EXPLOSIVES CERTIFICATE

5. The explosive substance smokeless powder which is—
(b) acquired by a person who either is registered as a firearms dealer under section 33 of the Firearms Act 1968(b) or holds
(i) a permit granted under section 7 of that Act (c);
(ii) a firearms certificate granted under section 27 of that Act(d);
(iii) a shotgun certificate granted under section 28 of that Act(e); or
(iv) a permit granted under section 17 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988(f).
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#8 Post by Lancs Lad »

Alpha1 wrote:I think most Registered Firearms dealers do this now especially if you are not known to them. I get my powders from two sources I have dealt with them for years they don't all ways ask for my certificate. It's not a legal requirement more a cautionary measure. I don't have a problem showing my certificate when buying powder or primers.
I also have no issue with showing my FAC for the purchase of powder. In fact, if I know that I'll be visiting a gun shop in the first place then I will always carry my ticket with me quite simply because all RFD's are different in that respect.

:flag13: LL
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#9 Post by Andy632 »

Lancs Lad wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:I think most Registered Firearms dealers do this now especially if you are not known to them. I get my powders from two sources I have dealt with them for years they don't all ways ask for my certificate. It's not a legal requirement more a cautionary measure. I don't have a problem showing my certificate when buying powder or primers.
I also have no issue with showing my FAC for the purchase of powder. In fact, if I know that I'll be visiting a gun shop in the first place then I will always carry my ticket with me quite simply because all RFD's are different in that respect.

:flag13: LL
I've got photos of my certificates on my phone which I'm more likely to carry most places I go.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#10 Post by mag41uk »

rox wrote:
Unless you have an explosives license, it is your FAC/RFD/Shotgun license etc that exempts you from requiring one in order to acquire smokeless powder.
Below extract from 2014 regs, so check for updates before depending on this!

SCHEDULE 2
Regulation 5(3)(a)
EXPLOSIVES NOT REQUIRING AN EXPLOSIVES CERTIFICATE

5. The explosive substance smokeless powder which is—
(b) acquired by a person who either is registered as a firearms dealer under section 33 of the Firearms Act 1968(b) or holds
(i) a permit granted under section 7 of that Act (c);
(ii) a firearms certificate granted under section 27 of that Act(d);
(iii) a shotgun certificate granted under section 28 of that Act(e); or
(iv) a permit granted under section 17 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988(f).
Thanks for that.