7.62x39mm Cast Bullet Load

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
CDM5
Home club or Range: Tidworth RPC & Bisley

7.62x39mm Cast Bullet Load

#1 Post by CDM5 »

I'm considering making up some light gallery loads for a straight pull AKM suitable for a 25m range which is restricted to factory .44mag power.

Will likely use Trailboss or TinStar unless you can recommend another suitable powder?

And a hardcast .311 170gr bullet to keep it subsonic, or would 170gr be too long?

Would appreciate any input from anyone who down-loads for rifle calibres.

Thanks.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: 7.62x39mm Cast Bullet Load

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

Whilst I have no experience of this, I think I remember this being discussed on here before. Have you tried doing a search? Try doing one including posts by the user "alpha1" as I believe it was him who was doing it.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Can't get Trailboss since June 2018. Banned.

Tinstar is a great alternative.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

I use N110 or Bullseye.
I use a custom 161-grain NOE mold with 3.2grains of bullseye or N110 at 25 yards indoors. I have also used 155 grain bullets and some by Dodgy rog. I have never used a 170grain bullet so can not comment on that.
You need to be using fast pistol powders.
Adam (Dromia) has lots of experience with this type of shooting/hand loading.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

What is the maximum muzzle energy and muzzle velocity for the range? 'Twill be on the range certificate which should be on display on the range.

"Download" from what?

Only when you have that can you develop range safe loads.

.44 magnum factory velocities is meaningless as factory velocities and bullet weights vary with manufacturer and load.

For lead loads for such ranges we usually go for far lighter bullets and hardcast alloy is the last thing you want to use.

Any fast pistol powder works well, my powder of choice is N320, tin star is good too but is unfortunately bulky.

In the interim you can get on with taking a chamber/lead/groove/bore cast as you will need this information to help inform bullet choice.

As has been already said this has been done to death on here before so a good search will enable you to come back for assistance with more informed questions.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Dave, 3.2 gns of N110???

It is a fast rifle powder not a fast pistol powder.

I'm surprised the bullet leaves the barrel!

You must get heaps of unburnt powder.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#7 Post by meles meles »

dromia wrote: You must get heaps of unburnt powder.

That could be useful...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

dromia wrote:Dave, 3.2 gns of N110???

It is a fast rifle powder not a fast pistol powder.

I'm surprised the bullet leaves the barrel!

You must get heaps of unburnt powder.
Oops should of been N310 I have also used N320.
Just goes to show how important it is to all ways read the manufacturers data/reloading manuals before embarking on any caliber to be hand loaded and not rely solely on stuff read on a forum.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

To be honest I shoot my 7.62x39 AIA very rarely nowadays. Its a keeper but my current local Club went into meltdown when I asked to shoot it on the 25-yard indoor range. The usual excuses its dangerous guns have blown up etc etc. So I chose not to bother. I could not be chewed trying to educate them.
I shoot it occasionally on a MOD range.
I used to shoot it regularly at the Yarners in Durham they have a system I believe introduced to the Club by Adam (Dromia) correct me if I am wrong. That works very well and I enjoyed my time there shooting my AIA as well as other calibers including .303.
I still pop through occasionally just for a bit of crack.

Unfortunately, due to eyesight problems and the drive usually being on an evening in poor lighting conditions I stopped going and let my membership lapse. But such is life.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

I use N310 for a lot of my cast loads. I quite fancy a 7,62x39 one day, just not an AK style thing.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal