7.62x39mm Cast Bullet Load

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: 7.62x39mm Cast Bullet Load

#21 Post by Sim G »

We shoot all manner of centrefire rifle cartridges in our club, with fast pistol powder or N32C, with lead bullets. Our range limits are 2100fps or 1497ft/lbs, whatever is greater!

I even know one bloke who is researching loads for his .338 Lap within this limit, for sh*ts & giggles!

It's generally the old and inflexible who oppose such things, because they don't understand it. But, one good cold snap and we'll be advertising vacancies...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#22 Post by Sim G »

Oh and meant to say, we've started to encourage plated bullets over cast where possible, as we've found clean up of the bullet traps far "easier and healthier". Still no jacketed bullets though.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#23 Post by DanTheMan »

snayperskaya wrote:
DanTheMan wrote:6gr Red Dot powder + 140gr lead gas checked bullet, meets our indoor range regs.
Have you tried it with a suppressor by any chance?
Not only tried it, shot a video too, no need for ear protection :) clearly subsonic.

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#24 Post by Alpha1 »

I have fired .308 .303 and 6.5 creedmoor at 25 yards with cast bullets and fast pistol powders. Lots of fun.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#25 Post by FredB »

The "old and inflexible guys" are where the knowledge is handed down from.
In our club we have a simple system:
If the round exceeds the range limits, then reduced loads are required.
When you have samples of the reduced load, it is tested on the club chronograph.
If OK, then this is the load you must use, or you re-test.
A log book of loads and results is kept in the club shed.
Hence, unless you have a calibre which has never been used on our range, loading information is readlil available to you.
Fred
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#26 Post by Alpha1 »

FredB wrote:The "old and inflexible guys" are where the knowledge is handed down from.
When you have samples of the reduced load, it is tested on the club chronograph.
Hence, unless you have a calibre which has never been used on our range, loading information is readlil available to you.
Fred
Old and inflexible. Im 68 years old. lollol
(But I do know what you mean.)
Sim G
Past Supporter

#27 Post by Sim G »

Old an inflexible is exactly that. Age does not necessarily translate to experience or expertise. We have some that have shot for 50+ years and never tried a different discipline to that which they started and consider hand loading as an attempt to circumvent every law of physics or legislation, ever written....!

These are the old and inflexible that prevent the expansion of the sport and keep the next generation from flourishing.

dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#28 Post by dodgyrog »

Alpha1 wrote:
FredB wrote:The "old and inflexible guys" are where the knowledge is handed down from.
Fred
Old and inflexible. Im 68 years old. lollol
(But I do know what you mean.)
I beat you there Dave, by the grand total of 3 years BUT inflexible does sum up my body!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#29 Post by FredB »

Only 68? You are still a beginner. Our club encourages every form of target shooting with every calibre and every type of gun. The chairman is in his 80s as are several committee members. We have a mentoring system to bring on new members. We find that younger members are mostly into lead spraying with semi-auto .22s. We do not discourage this as the club sells them the ammo. We have some really top shooters, but many members turn up regularly to practise missing until they can do it perfectly every time.
Fred
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#30 Post by snayperskaya »

DanTheMan wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:
DanTheMan wrote:6gr Red Dot powder + 140gr lead gas checked bullet, meets our indoor range regs.
Have you tried it with a suppressor by any chance?
Not only tried it, shot a video too, no need for ear protection :) clearly subsonic.

Cheers Dan, I may have to try a similar load.I have a Viht N120/150gr SPBT load that is very quiet with the mod fitted.The mod also tightens the group size up a bit and takes all the recoil out of it, feels like a .22LR to shoot.I have loaded some rounds up with some 150gr FMJ bullets with a slightly reduced load from that used for the SPBT's, as the FMJ bullets are longer, but need to get to the range to try them.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!