Reloading Kit Recommendations

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Hixus
Home club or Range: Range

Re: Reloading Kit Recommendations

#11 Post by Hixus »

Fantastic advice gents, I’m extremely great full! You guys have taken a lot of time to put down solid gold information. I think I’m going to custom build my homeloading kit some bits second hand and others new.
Merely based on the advise given.

Thanks again gents!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#12 Post by snayperskaya »

One piece of reloading "kit" I would recommend is time, only reload when you have plenty of time to spare and no distractions.Don't rush it and double check everything at each stage of the process and above all stay safe.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

the new style drum based powder measures are great. I would not get the older fixed types.
I use the die mounted one, and it is always bang on. plus as I load multiple calibers, I can swap out the drum to the one I need, and after a few cyclesm it is bang on my charge.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

bradaz11 wrote:the new style drum based powder measures are great. I would not get the older fixed types.
I use the die mounted one, and it is always bang on. plus as I load multiple calibers, I can swap out the drum to the one I need, and after a few cyclesm it is bang on my charge.
What make are you refering to.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#15 Post by FredB »

I must admit that I to have no idea what was mean't by the post on drum based measures. Especially since they have been around since the 19th century.
Fred
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#16 Post by Geek »

snayperskaya wrote:One piece of reloading "kit" I would recommend is time, only reload when you have plenty of time to spare and no distractions.Don't rush it and double check everything at each stage of the process and above all stay safe.

Good advice!
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#17 Post by bradaz11 »

bradaz11 wrote:the new style drum based powder measures are great. I would not get the older fixed types.
sorry all - the new lee removable drum based measures
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#18 Post by Gh0st »

Assuming you belong to a club, reach out to the members, if anything like mine there are plenty of people willing to share advice and help you out.

I was taught over 21 years ago by a friend, he’s still my first port of call on anything new or issues i find.

As for kit, start with the best you can afford, the kit will serve you well, unless you are knocking out thousands of rounds you don’t need to go mad. And as your doing 6.5cr I’m assuming a few hundred at a time.

I started on Lee and moved to Dillon, big jump in quality and price tho!

Welcome to a whole new hobby
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

You need a valid source of load data and a very robust bench along with good light located somewhere free of distractions.

Press - I use many and the first one I ever purchased was a Lee Cast Classic and it is still in use.
Dies, I use Lee, Redding, RCBS, Dillon, Triebel, Hornady, Forster, Wilson and they are all mostly OK. My preference is Forster or Redding and I have made my own for specific applications.
Scales and powder throwing, The UK produced Targemaster has a superb reputation, I have just not ever got around to ordering one. Instead I/we use RCBS Chargemaster (modified)
Primer tools are my own design single load, some modified RCBS's, Forster Bench and original Lee and I tend to have them set up for individual cartridges.
Measuring kit is all my own design.
Verniers are Mitutoyo digital.
Trays, de-burring tools and so on are various makes. I like some Sinclair stuff and some Wilson so I use what works for me.
Bullet runout/neck thickness bench gauges are my own again. These days I would probably use Sinclair.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Hixus
Home club or Range: Range

#20 Post by Hixus »

With different manufacturer presses and dies, can it be mixed and matched as I’ve seen a lymans crusher 2 press for sale new for approximately £125 including p&p. I think I’ll go down the avenue of building my own set up. I’m more swayed to invest in the rcbs charge master or similar, that will take the powder scale and powder measure out in one hit.