Baffling headspace problem

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Baffling headspace problem

#11 Post by Mattnall »

The Gun Pimp wrote:
Racalman wrote:I've been loading .308 successfully for years using a Redding full length sizing die and competition shellholders.

I clean the die occasionally with Pro-Shot copper solvent as it gets a build up of brass which scratches the case necks.

This may be irrelevant to the problem, but on the last clean I left the solvent in for a few days by mistake.

Anyway, of all the rounds I've loaded since then approximately half will not chamber due to insufficient headspace.

Any ideas what could be causing this inconsistency?
Mattinall - If you think you have a headspace problem -
Not me, mate, Racalman has the conundrum.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#12 Post by Racalman »

WelshShooter wrote:What about the case length? Are some cases longer than others or are they all about the same length give or take a few thou?

At what point do they not chamber? Do you only feel resistance when you rotate the bolt handle or do you feel the resistance whilst feeding the case into the chamber?
The cases are all pretty much the same length.

The resistance is felt while trying to close the bolt.
Racalman

#13 Post by Racalman »

Mattnall wrote:
The Gun Pimp wrote:
Racalman wrote:I've been loading .308 successfully for years using a Redding full length sizing die and competition shellholders.

I clean the die occasionally with Pro-Shot copper solvent as it gets a build up of brass which scratches the case necks.

This may be irrelevant to the problem, but on the last clean I left the solvent in for a few days by mistake.

Anyway, of all the rounds I've loaded since then approximately half will not chamber due to insufficient headspace.

Any ideas what could be causing this inconsistency?
Mattinall - If you think you have a headspace problem -
Not me, mate, Racalman has the conundrum.
Indeed I do and maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. The problem is with the sized cases, not the chamber. Using a Hornady headspace comparator I'm seeing up to a 10 thou variation between sized cases.

Anyway I need to get on and reload for the next competition so I've ordered a new die as I can't think of anything else.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

Are you using a hornady headspace comparetor.? or a cartridge over all lentgh gauge How many times have the cases been fired.
StanDeasy

#15 Post by StanDeasy »

Suggest you review your case lube technique

Inconsistent application of case lube --> inconsistent shoulder set-back.

Insufficient application of case lube --> build up of brass in die due to metal-to-metal galling.
Racalman

#16 Post by Racalman »

Alpha1 wrote:Are you using a hornady headspace comparetor.? or a cartridge over all lentgh gauge How many times have the cases been fired.
Yes, and 3.
Racalman

#17 Post by Racalman »

StanDeasy wrote:Suggest you review your case lube technique

Inconsistent application of case lube --> inconsistent shoulder set-back.

Insufficient application of case lube --> build up of brass in die due to metal-to-metal galling.
I've been using a lube pad for years and always had consistent results (until now).

There has been some galling in the die which is why I clean it with copper solvent periodically.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#18 Post by WelshShooter »

Thinking of the sizing process, have you noticed any difference in the resistance during full length sizing? Does it feel like you need to exert a wee bit more force during sizing? When I started reloading around 9 years ago I was using a lube pad and the RCBS squeeze bottle lube. Couldn't really get on with the stuff and have been using imperial sizing wax since then.

Is it possible that your lube pad was drying out whilst lubing your cases? Galling is metal on metal contact which might suggest lack of lubrication, but it's a bit strange that a steel die would be damaged by softer brass unless the cases are dirty from the range and the galling was caused by debris.

Otherwise I'm all outta ideas. If nothings changed other than the soaking of solvent in your dies for a few days, then that's the assignable cause in which case you might need to get a new die.
Racalman

#19 Post by Racalman »

WelshShooter wrote:Thinking of the sizing process, have you noticed any difference in the resistance during full length sizing? Does it feel like you need to exert a wee bit more force during sizing? When I started reloading around 9 years ago I was using a lube pad and the RCBS squeeze bottle lube. Couldn't really get on with the stuff and have been using imperial sizing wax since then.

Is it possible that your lube pad was drying out whilst lubing your cases? Galling is metal on metal contact which might suggest lack of lubrication, but it's a bit strange that a steel die would be damaged by softer brass unless the cases are dirty from the range and the galling was caused by debris.

Otherwise I'm all outta ideas. If nothings changed other than the soaking of solvent in your dies for a few days, then that's the assignable cause in which case you might need to get a new die.
No real difference in the sizing experience. I keep the pad well lubricated. The galling has been mostly on the neck area of the die. All my cases atre clean and shiny when I size them. If the problem I'm getting was consistent then I could assign it to my setup, but it varies from one case to another which is what has me baffled.

I have a new die arriving today so will report back tomorrow if that has solved the problem.

Thanks for listening.
artiglio

#20 Post by artiglio »

You can chase your tail for weeks with such things. A bit of extra pressure ,for whatever reason ,or the brass being a bit “softer” than usual MAY have resulted in the case head expanding a touch more than usual , a small base die MIGHT help.
But Vince’s suggestion is a better place to start, get some new brass load it and fire it, at least then you’re starting from a known datum, when resizing.