Baffling headspace problem

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

Baffling headspace problem

#1 Post by Racalman »

I've been loading .308 successfully for years using a Redding full length sizing die and competition shellholders.

I clean the die occasionally with Pro-Shot copper solvent as it gets a build up of brass which scratches the case necks.

This may be irrelevant to the problem, but on the last clean I left the solvent in for a few days by mistake.

Anyway, of all the rounds I've loaded since then approximately half will not chamber due to insufficient headspace.

Any ideas what could be causing this inconsistency?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Baffling headspace problem

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

If the only thing that has changed is the solvent left in the die it could be the caustic solvent has dried out and corroded the inside of the die.....what does the inside of the die look like now?
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

Have you changed the cases at all?
Do you use a sizer with a neck expander?
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Racalman

#4 Post by Racalman »

snayperskaya wrote:If the only thing that has changed is the solvent left in the die it could be the caustic solvent has dried out and corroded the inside of the die.....what does the inside of the die look like now?
I inspected it with my borescope. It looks fine to me.
Racalman

#5 Post by Racalman »

Mattnall wrote:Have you changed the cases at all?
Do you use a sizer with a neck expander?
I only use Lapua cases. I size without an exander ball then use a mandrel.
Mattnall
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#6 Post by Mattnall »

Racalman wrote:
Well that answers that then.
Are they new cases or previously fired?
Seems like you may have to readjust your dies to suit the new conditions, whatever the cause.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Racalman

#7 Post by Racalman »

Mattnall wrote:
Racalman wrote:
Well that answers that then.
Are they new cases or previously fired?
Seems like you may have to readjust your dies to suit the new conditions, whatever the cause.
Previously fired. I've tried using different thicknesses of shellholder but I'm not getting consistent results. Some cases are in spec and some won't chamber. I normally aim for 1.628" headspace but some cases come out nearly 10 thou higher.

I may just give up and buy a new die. I've had this one for 20 years.
WelshShooter

#8 Post by WelshShooter »

What about the case length? Are some cases longer than others or are they all about the same length give or take a few thou?

At what point do they not chamber? Do you only feel resistance when you rotate the bolt handle or do you feel the resistance whilst feeding the case into the chamber?
rox

#9 Post by rox »

Racalman wrote:approximately half will not chamber due to insufficient headspace.
By how much does the case head-to-shoulder-datum measurement exceed the equivalent chamber dimension?
A couple of thousandths too long is barely noticable until you remove the firing pin. It takes a significant overlap to be un-chamberable.

If some chamber and some do not (and the problem is headspace as you suggest), what is the range of case head-to-shoulder-datum measurements you are seeing? Is this more than usual?

The Gun Pimp

#10 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Racalman wrote:I've been loading .308 successfully for years using a Redding full length sizing die and competition shellholders.

I clean the die occasionally with Pro-Shot copper solvent as it gets a build up of brass which scratches the case necks.

This may be irrelevant to the problem, but on the last clean I left the solvent in for a few days by mistake.

Anyway, of all the rounds I've loaded since then approximately half will not chamber due to insufficient headspace.

Any ideas what could be causing this inconsistency?
Mattinall - headspace is measured from the SHOULDER of the chamber to the BOLTFACE. If you think you have a headspace problem - easy check - try and chamber a BRAND NEW UNSIZED UNFIRED LAPUA case. I guarantee it will chamber.

So, if it does, the problem is not headspace.