.303 British Hornady 174 grs Vintage Match Accuracy ?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpin Sniper L42 A1
Home club or Range: Diverse Shooting Clubs

.303 British Hornady 174 grs Vintage Match Accuracy ?

#1 Post by Alpin Sniper L42 A1 »

Good evening together, I could not find any really informative answers to the above question.

How was your experience with this ammo in a Lee-Enfield No. 4, an Enfield P 14 and a Lee-Enfield Mark 3, please? By shooting it in 5-shot groups at 100 yards, 300 yards and I hope still greater distances ? bangbang
Because this ammunition is - suddenly very surprising - available in limited quantities here in Switzerland. And because of this small number of cartridges I have to choose if I want to invest them in checking the accuracy of my .303 British Rifles or keep those ammunition as a collector's cartridge. Experience with function and reloadability of these cases are of course very welcome. Using this ammunition for accuracy testing could be of interest to both hunters and shooters.

Many thanks!
Alpin Sniper L42 A1
Attachments
Lee-Enfield No. 4 am Jahresmatch Ottawa..jpg
.303 British Hornady Vintage 174 grs Match BTHP.jpg
.303 British Hornady Match 174 grs BTHP Vintage Frankonia.jpg
Alpin Sniper L 42 A1
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: .303 British Hornady 174 grs Vintage Match Accuracy ?

#2 Post by kennyc »

can't help with the Hornady, but a friend who lives in Switzerland swears by S&B for his .303 although you may have to look a bit as he bought the entire last batch at his supplier
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have not seen the Hornady here. I shot S&B in my 4(T) when I had no reloads available and found it very consistent within the box, but not between boxes. I shot it to 1000 yards on a few occasions with OK results.

I will keep an eye out for the Hornady.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#4 Post by GeeRam »

Never seen the Hornady Vintage Match 303 for sale in the UK, and I doubt we will, as from posts I've seen on Milsurps, Hornady have recently stopped making it, so you'll likely to not be seeing it for much longer in Switzerland!

The only factory 303 ammo we can get in UK is the S&B and the PPU.

Dauntsey Guns stock Remmington 303 hunting ammo, but they maybe the only ones that do.
Alpin Sniper L42 A1

#5 Post by Alpin Sniper L42 A1 »

Thanks for the answers :wave:

kennyc: thanks anyway. Maybe somebody around you used already this Hornady Match-Ammo ? The S&B we receive in CH, too. Thanks for the tip - I bought two weeks ago also an big box of it lol

Ovenpaa: Yes, if the reloads have gone out... :-) At 1000 yards - great. I'm now getting jealous :o The target was something like my example, perhaps ?.. have the impression the S&B can be - depending on rifle and shooter, of course - a alternative to reloaded ammo. Let's see in an another test later.. .

GeeRam: Then it seems that we are in a similar situation :) Yes, there is no further production of this round to see at the Hornady site. And - that's for sure, unfortunately - this 80 rounds were the last part of this basicly 200 rounds, as my trader said last week. I bought this ammo in the meantime. Of course ;)
1000 m-Rifle Scheibe.pdf
(13.16 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Greetings
Attachments
Lee-Enfield L 42 A 1 Duo on Range.jpg
Alpin Sniper L 42 A1
Alpin Sniper L42 A1

#6 Post by Alpin Sniper L42 A1 »

Hello,

In the meantime I could not work further for our question above... . But I think that will follow :D

But I could shoot my Smelly with some new Sellier 180 grs FMJ-BT-Ammo. With some surprising results.. . The 5 holes in the center are mine, not the rest !

We do what we can, wonder need some more time ;)
Lee-Enfield Mark 3 No. 1 Sellier 180 gr FMJ-5-Shot-Group 22.12.21.jpg
Lee-Enfield Mark 3 No.1 on Sunshine 22.12.21.jpg
Alpin Sniper L 42 A1
Alpin Sniper L42 A1

#7 Post by Alpin Sniper L42 A1 »

In the meantime I could test out all my .303 British-Equipment with the new"Sellier"-180 gr FMJ-Ammo. Surprising accurate with all this quite different rifles, I have to say. Good.. .

The test of the Hornady Vintage Match will follow :wave:
Alpin Sniper L 42 A1